Yellow tang died???

thedeper

Market
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed my yellow tang didn't eat when I did my two feedings and wasn't really moving around the tank. He has no ich or diseases and looked healthy even though he didn't eat.

Well last night he died and I really do not know why. This is my first fish death (other than a damsel killing another damsel) so it kinda sucks. Everything else in my tank is happy, healthy and swimming around- Lawnmower Blenny, Coral Beauty, Maroon, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Pistol shrimp, Wheeler goby.

I was planning on removing the tang from my tank because the Solana was going to be too small for him, but I was waiting until my light came in to trade for some frags. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do that, so would him being house in a smaller tank have caused him to die off like this? He has only been in this tank for 2 weeks and is only around 3-4 inches at the most...Sorry if I am rambling but I just don't like the idea of me letting something die but I don't really know how I could have caught this(sickness).

Oh BTW my skunk molted last night---I don't know if its related or not but could something in the water cause the skunk to molt and kill the YT. I don't think so but everyone else has a lot more knowledge than I do on this and can maybe connect the dots.

The YT was in a 55 gallon. I bought him at the very beginning of my Saltwater adventure and then when I purchased my Solana I moved him over to it but I knew I was going to have to find a new home for him...Maybe it was the stress of being moved to a smaller swimming area.

I wasn't suggesting the shrimp actually killed the YT, only that maybe their are certain water parameters that cause them to molt and that those parameters are what did the tang in---I have zero idea about this, it was just guessing.

The shrimp doesn't release any toxins when it molts.

The move to that small tank wouldn't have made the tang happy for sure, but doubtful that the space killed him. Was he eating, other than just the one day?

Yeah he was eating fine up until yesterday. He didn't have any symptoms of disease from what I have read about online. I was feeding formula 1 pellets w/garlic and formula 2 flakes.

Well, you really need to feed them seaweed for a more natural diet, but if he was eating the flake and pellet,then he may have been okay. Only one way to find out...autopsy!

Actually, one of the sessions at MACNA is Necropsy. Freeze him and bring him in!

thedeper;209629 wrote:
Oh BTW my skunk molted last night---I don't know if its related or not but could something in the water cause the skunk to molt and kill the YT. I don't think so but everyone else has a lot more knowledge than I do on this and can maybe connect the dots.

Sudden changes in water chemistry (especially pH) can cause a premature molt so you may have something going on in your water. I don't know how significant the changes would have to be to affect the tang. Did you check your params?

Back