yellow tang question

ericmcj31

Market
Reaction score
My yellow tang's fins are like halfway gone; I assumed something was "nipping" at them, and I also assumed they'd grow back-well--that was like nearly a year ago-he seems happy and healthy, just would like for his fins to grow back. I feed them prime reef, green algae flakes, and also seaweed clips about every-other day. So, he should be getting his nutrients he needs-do ya'll think that something is still "nipping" at him,? shouldn't his fins grow back? I don't wanna throw him away or anything, but would like a nice -looking yellow tang-any suggestions?

if you want them to grow back fast, take him out of the tank and put him in a Q tank and dose the tank with Melafix....can be found at any pets mart. DO NOT run a skimmer on that tank that the melafix is in, unless you want your fish to have a bubble bath....ok, ok it wont be full of bubbles in the water, but on the surface there sure will be. Do the dosage as it says, something like whatever amount for 7 days. His fins should grow back pretty fast.

Could be something is still eating him... more likely is the chance that they got nipped so far down that they can not grow back... It is one thing to grow back the webbing but it is another to try to grow back the "bones" that make up the fins. It just can not be done.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't disease--I also don't have a QT, so any other suggestions?? I know some LFS's will take them, but I don't wanna do that either-that's not fair to the fish, but I'd like my YT to be pretty, but his fins are "munched" down some parts a whole lot-

Ive seen yellow tangs that were so abused and malnourish that the tisuue at the fin base was destroyed, and the fins never grow back. They look like little yellow trigger fish with two little nubs. I'm cretainly not saying this is the case, but the fins dont always grow back.

Yea something is going on with him. When I first got my yellow tang a couple of years ago it quickly developed a white raised spot on it's tail fin that slowly got bigger. The part owner of a nice LFS in Marietta told me that it was probably a parasite and to "cut it off". He assured me it would be ok. I caught the tang and while in the net took a new pair of sharp scissors and cut a pencil eraser size piece of his tail off including the spot. Within 2 weeks the tail had completely grown back to normal. I still have the tang and it looks perfectly normal.

in the meantime, I would get a bunch of Nori and fold it up on a clip, add 3-5 drops of Selcon, and change it out 2 to 3 times a day for at least 6 months (or more). reduce it to 2 x a day. You can get Nori (for Sushi) at any publix that sells real sushi. You might have to call around. Also, any international market & upscale market (whole foods) should sell it.

i have read someone that if you have an electical leak it can start eating your fishes fins away, maybe worth a try to check.

There is a disease that tangs suffer from that eats their fins according to a tank at optimum aquarium which has several of these tangs in a tank living out their days.

Can't think of the name of the disease.

yeah-it's MHLLE I believe-it makes the fins "erode"-i'm pretty sure that's not it either; I'm almost positive that either my blue regal or foxface just kept nipping at him and I'm pretty sure after talking to you guys that it's not gonna come back--as far as the nori-are the seaweed sheets not the same? or should I still spring for the nori? thanks again.

no I bought these at like F&S--they come in like a 10 and 30 sheet packs-

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5026">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5026</a>

I got the green algae/seaweed

heck, I've even got the Julian Sprung's sea veggies flakes and sheets
prod_display.cfm

cool-I didn't know--seems they like the algae sheets better than the julian sprungs sheets and flakes--the julian sprungs stuff breaks really easily-maybe I need to make it more "stale" like you said.

Back