Yellowtail damselfish

longboarder

Market
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. I really like damselfish, but have been warned about their aggressive nature. But liveaquaria.com and my Marine Fish book say that the yellowtail damselfish is less aggressive than the others. If I added a few as one of the last additions to my tank, I wonder how that would turn out? Does anyone here successfully keep yellowtail damselfish in a community tank? Any "tricks" to making that work? If it's a bad idea, I can decide not to have them, but I'd hate to not have them if it could reasonably work out. Thanks for the input!

yep! i have 3 plain blue damsels and 1 yellowtail and the yellow tail is by far less agressive. he actually can be a little shy sometimes. he is in there with a maroon clown and yellow tang as well. the regular blue ones actually chase my tang around sometimes so i wouldnt recommend them

If you are willing to break down the reef in rubber totes, rock in one, corals in another and chase the little buggers wit a net. After they "wear out the new more expensive favorite fish" that will probably come your way, then go ahead.

be carefull.........

I have one and my six line is more aggressive then him. I like him and he will go in my new setup. I will agree that the problem is catching him if he causes problems. If you don't mind having to get him out if he causes problems then go for it.

You did not mention what his tank mates would be.

Joe

It would be cool if they could breed the aggression out of damsels. I love the coloration of a lot of the damsels as that bright bright blue and fast movement is very desirable in a fish. It works with dogs and fish have shorter life cycles... I would buy a school of peaceful damsels in a heartbeat :).

I have two.

They were my first fish and have never bothered any of the *pricey* additions that came later. Their first home was a 33g:

2200943Mytank2.jpg
alt="" />

Then I moved up to a 55g and now a 90g.

They're colorful, active and friendly. Maybe I was lucky to get a couple that have never shown any aggression.

2200946PlateCoral2.jpg
alt="" />

Yeah, the breeding thing would be cool. Who can we breed with them that is very submissive? Steve?

lol :lol2: Steve are you going to take that. OH he did say you were submissive.

Joe

corvettecris;234596 wrote: Yeah, the breeding thing would be cool. Who can we breed with them that is very submissive? Steve?

I've got 2 in my 90 and never had a problem with them. Sometimes, they even 'dance' with each other, and I wonder if I have a pair.. Anywayz...

They are cute and I'll probably end up keeping them when I do my next upgrade.

corvettecris;234596 wrote: Yeah, the breeding thing would be cool. Who can we breed with them that is very submissive? Steve?

I think I've been officially burned. It's not often that I can't come back with some wise-a$$ reply, but I'm stumped here. But, tomorrow's another day!

Back