Yet another build thread... my 240

harleyguy

Market
Reaction score
Ya I know this should go in the large tank forum, but I like to be differant...

I tend to be long winded so please be pataint... Back in December I ordered my tank from Aquarium Obsessed (AO) and hopefully it will be here soon. It took me some time to come up with the hole design for the tank but with help from everyone on ARC I finally made, what I think is, a good decision. So here is what I came up with.

Thank is 61x36x26 ~243 gallons. It will have an external overflow, be euro braced, and have 3 sides in Starfire. Here is the design I sent AO.

UpdatedholesforAOrev2.jpg
alt="" />

The only thing that changed is the space between the two sets of overflow teeth has to be 8 inches so the external overflow will actually get longer, but will still not come all the way to the end of the tank (for reasons I'll get into later.

The holes are for the following. The 2 smaller holes are for a small closed loop... Basically I had some equipment so I figured I'd use it. Both 3/4" bulkheads will feed 1 pump that will return to the tank via a 3/4" sea-swirl that will come through the back euro brace. The 2 larger holes are for the sump return. There will be plumbed behind all the rock work with many different loc-line nozzles. The return will be provided by a new Sequence Blackfin BF6000... This is one BA pump... I will also purchased 4 Vortek MD-40W's... Now I'm not 100% sure that I will need or use all 4, but I have them just in case... I figure if I use all 4 Vorteks the return pump and the CL I should have plenty of flow... ~ 16,000 gph this should turn the entire system over about 40 times an hour (and I'm being conservative on the gph).

As for the other equipment... I will be using an AquaEuro 400 for skimming and I might add a second skimmer at a later date, but for now that will have to do. I plan on using a Koraline 3002 Ca reactor with the hope that I will not have to use a Kalk reactor... But if I have to I'll likely go with one of MRC's newest creations... I have a Aquacontroller 3, but I'm thinking of going with something a little more user friendly. I have a 100mg Ozone generator, that I will be using along with a 40W UV.

I am likely going to order about 250 pounds of rock from Marcorocks and seed it with another 50#'s or so of nice live rock. At this point I'm still on the fence about the substrate... I will either go with a 3" sandbed, or BB... I'm torn and I think I need to see some BB tanks before I decide...

One thing that really has me stumped is the lighting... Because of the footprint of this tank I think the lighting will be my toughest chalange... I have toyed with doing all T5, a combination of T5 and 250W MH's and all MH's with VHO suplimentation... So feel free to chime in on this one...

One of the biggest decisions I had to make about was simply where to put the tank, and here is what I (and when I say I, I really mean my wife) decided..

Here is my house as it is now...

beforeAddition.jpg
alt="" />

This is what it will be...

Additionwithtank.jpg
alt="" />

and I'll gain an office and a small fish foorm... although most of the equipment including the sump will be downstairs...

Additiontopdownofofficeandfishroom.jpg
alt="" />

Well I think that's enough for now... I'll post more soon...

Thanks,

Shane

Fireplace working or not? If not I see a really sweet spot for a custom fuge to be shown as a planted tank. You know it's a good idea.

Smoothie;331579 wrote: Fireplace working or not? If not I see a really sweet spot for a custom fuge to be shown as a planted tank. You know it's a good idea.

The fire place is not working... We used to have a wood burning stove but it's gone... I'd love to get rid of the "fire place" gut my wife likes it and wants to keep it... so, that's that... Although I did introduce an idea to her and she seemed sort of receptive... I purposed that since we are doing an addition for my tank... why not use my 670, and put the new "smaller" tank downstairs and a FOWLR... She didn't say no... so I guess that's a good sign... I'll be getting some estimates this week for the addition and that will really determine which way we will go...

Back