Your Daily/Weekly Coral Care?

scubagirl12

Market
Reaction score
Everyone has their own opinion, right? So I was just wondering what everyone has in their daily, weekly, or monthly schedule for care of their corals. Specifically lps and softies (because that's what I have).

Feed the fish, calcium and buffer every few days, skimmer cleaning weekly, water changes every 2 weeks, carbon/GFO/Purigen monthly, UV bulbs every 6 months, MH lighting every 8 months, T5 lighting every 16 months.

I think that is about it barring the occasional pump cleaning. I dose nothing special and don't believe iodine or other reef suplements is worth the money or hassle... for me at least.

Mine is very much like Cameron's, except my skimmer gets cleaned during the water change.
I used to dose calcium/buffers but was a real pain, now i just use a better salt mix (Pro Reef)

Cameron;112691 wrote: Feed the fish, calcium and buffer every few days, skimmer cleaning weekly, water changes every 2 weeks, carbon/GFO/Purigen monthly, UV bulbs every 6 months, MH lighting every 8 months, T5 lighting every 16 months.

MH every 8 and T5 Every 16? Hmm... I always thought it was kind of the other way around... Usually go 12-16 on my MH. I don't have T5's.

I dose a bit of liquid food now and then, but doubt it does a lot, though my softies love it. I also do the usual tending: move them if they are beginning to encroach on each other, etc.

As to cleaning skimmers: I clean out the head every few weeks, and the pumps on my Deltec I take apart and quick-clean every 2-3 months or when foam is down. I do a full soak/clean to get calcium buildup out about 1/year. I have yet to clean out the main body, but I am beginning to think about it. When I was using my MR2, I never cleaned the pump, and only cleaned the Becket's once a month or so. I cleaned the top chamber/head about every week.

-Mike

Scubagirl12;112885 wrote: so no one does much with phyto/zooplankton or target feeding?

Well.. I do put in some Phyto from time to time, but that is mostly for my softies. I put in some Oyster Eggs as well.... Also, the Leather loves it when I clean the glass on my aquarium.

OK, it helps if I re-read the question. Short term memory is not what it was.. I was thinking SPS.

I have target fed my LPS as well ( have 2 elegance and used to have an open brain). I posted a message a few days ago where my elegance was eating a shrimp, and it opened up REALLY big after that, so I am back to feeding it a bit now every few days. Mostly, however, I make sure there is enough water flow when I am feeding my fish to assure that my LPS get hit with some of the food. Mysis and flake, and they snag it. I re-enable my power heads about 10-15 minutes before I turn my sump return pump back on during my feed cycle. One power head is running throughout the cycle.

Oh, and I suspect it has a bit to do with how mature your tank is, how much rock, etc. The pod population, for example, is a source of food, and takes a bit to get cranked up.

So far, so good... My two bits!

-Mike

I target feed my lps and anemones twice a week. I'm currently using Piscine Energetics Mysis. I switch around sometimes.

Back