Your favorite sand

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase some sand for my tank. If used Fiji pink in the past and it’s way too fine for my liking. I don’t want anything too coarse Incase I get a sand burrowing wrasse.

I like regular ole Aragonite

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

I really like CaribSea's Hawaiian Black. The grain size is a little big so I mix in a finer grain black sand in with it. I've always kept burrowing critter and it's never been an issue. However, I love diamond gobies but haven't had one since I switched to the larger grain because it's just too big. Burrowing gobies and shrimp - they're good. Sand sifting critters - no the best.

Have you used it before Leo? How’s it look? Looks kind of tan.

it's in unopened bags - I literally bought it and then decided to go a different route. Never touched water, never left sitting outside or anything. It's hidden in the back of a closet in the house.

I bought 7 bags - I said I have 5 because I know there are at least that many in the original shipping boxes even.

I really like CaribSea's Hawaiian Black. The grain size is a little big so I mix in a finer grain black sand in with it. I've always kept burrowing critter and it's never been an issue. However, I love diamond gobies but haven't had one since I switched to the larger grain because it's just too big. Burrowing gobies and shrimp - they're good. Sand sifting critters - no the best.
My only concern with the black is that some of it is magnetic - I scraped my biocube (my very first tank setup) and got rid of the black.

My only concern with the black is that some of it is magnetic - I scraped my biocube (my very first tank setup) and got rid of the black.
I tested the Hawaiian Black before I put it in the tank and didn't have that problem so I went with it. I don't know if its batch specific.
It has its pros and cons, it doesn't show algae blooms as well, which is good and bad, because its easy to get lazy cleaning the tank, and the tank looks really dark.
Not sure I'd use it again, don't really love it or hate it.

I used to mix it with playground sand in my freshwater tanks and really liked how that looked.
4B385698-1676-4797-8108-DD1515DD238C.jpeg

I had been running fiji pink but then I went to David Grimm's house some time in 2008 and fell in love with his black substrate and swapped it out. I wasn't aware of any magnetic issues (I'll have to check it out) but really like a dark look because the colors really pop. The more natural substrates do look more natural but I've had this tank running for around 20 year and more than half the time has been with a black substrate. Perhaps it's time for a change....

I used black diamond blasting sand 20-40 in my planted freshwater tanks. pure black sand and it worked great. I think it was supposedly inert but not sure. Cheap $8 for 50lbs

I'm liking the look of Caribsea reef sand version.
I think it may be too coarse for Sand Sifting Gobies however so kind of regreting it.

I mixed mine as well with caribe special grade and reg pink Fiji . Everything burrows and sifts just fine . Most of the sand has settled to the bottom

Back