Your opinion on my lighting decision - please

geno

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">With some great help from a fellow ARC member, I have narrowed my search for lighting to the following. This will be for my 125g 72" tank with the idea of using LR and keeping LPS (not sure about SPS). Frankly, all I know is that it seems that SPS is more challenging to keep than LPS. Since I'm just getting started, it will likely be quite awhile before I venture into the more difficult species (fish or coral) to maintain.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">The links are below -- your comments please.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">-geno</span></span>

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CU-USA01082&Category_Code">http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CU-USA01082&Category_Code</a>=

[IMG]http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CU-USA01074&Category_Code">http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CU-USA01074&Category_Code</a>=

I used the 48" 2x150w HQI version of the Outer Orbit for years over my 55g reef tank and loved it. It was a little tricky to hang at first, but after it was up I had great success with my LPS and SPS. My vote goes for the Outer Orbit, but I have had no experience with the other setup. Enjoy.

If it was me I would probably go with the Nova Extreme. Those fixtures have individual reflectors for the T5's and consume half the electricity of the outer orbit. If the lamps are not included I would go with better lamps then the current brand. I would use the aqua blues,or maybe some different spectrums from URI,ATI,Giesemann.

Only downfall to going all T5's is you dont have the shimmer of the MH. But at half the cost and half the Elect. Im sure I could get over it.

Have you checkout any other online Stores. We have a couple local companies Aquabuys.com and ReefTankLighting.com.

I run the outer orbits on my 135---I've just started (about a month or so ago) keeping SPS, LPS, and softies--they work great; a bit pricey, but I like the way the lights look-I've been happy with mine. and everything seems to be doing good and growing (some)

Actually-I run the 3-150 watt setup--If you've got the $$$, I'd got with the 3-250 watt setup--I think you'll be happier in the long run

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I have -- and will -- look at other lighting sites before I make my purchase.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">The links provided were easy to post for your reference.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">As I expected, I've gotten mixed reviews (based on experience).</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Do you think I'll face a serious water temp problem with the Outer Orbit? I don't have a chiller (yet) and would love to postpone that purchase as long as possible. This hobby gets expensive in a hurry!!!:doh: </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Thank you!</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">-geno</span></span>

My Vote is, with the price of those hoods, build yourself a canopy and put a retrofit lighting kit in there. You would save so much money, you could go with 3 x 250W halides and T-5s and still have money left over for a chiller if you needed one. Seriously, think about it...

As far as if you will need a chiller with the outer orbit fixture. If you have a sump and fug with two 8" fans and a controller for them, you should be fine. I have 2 175W halides over my 55 gal tank and i get by with one fan in the summer (never comes on in the winter)

Are you going to be hanging these lights or putting them in a canopy? My Outer Orbits were hanging above the tank. I didn't have a top on my tank and a small clip on fan on my sump and my temp. stayed at 80 degrees. I did have to topoff the system(55g) with almost a gallon a day due to evaporation, but I didn't have to run a chiller.

Run a few fans and you will likely never need a chiller. I ran 3 250W DE over my 135 for several years with no heat issues whatsoever. Had three fans blowing across under the lights when they came on.

Watch out on the T5 cost comparison also. With the 72" 12 bulb unit you're looking at $300 every time you replace the bulbs!

If you went with 2 250W DE 14k Phoenix bulbs you would likely not need actinic supplementation also so you would have 500W total which is not much more then the T5 (and only $120 to replace vs. $300) and if you get good reflectors they could easily handle the area. 3 and you would be totally safe. Then you could keep anything you wanted and never have to worry about changing or upgrading!

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I really like all these thoughts.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">You know, I have considered building a canopy -- I found a simple design online and one of the ARC members has offered to make one for me (at some $).</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">To answer one of the questions posed to me: I was not planning to hang either fixture -- I was hoping the clips would elevate the fixture enough to reduce too much heat transfer. I don't plan to put a top on my tank -- probably an eggcrate of some kind -- just to keep everybody IN the tank.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Gosh, this is fun.</span></span>

For what you're doing I'd go with T5s. I have outstanding softie and LPS growth using the Current USA fixtures. Everything to leathers exploding, frogspawn growing new heads, and 15X more xenia in 5 months. It's a fixture I'm really starting to appreciate.

If you're willing to spend in the $900s, I can get you one of these for $950 delivered. 7 rows of bulbs all with individual reflectors. Build quality is excellent.
a>

kwl1763;122261 wrote: If you went with 2 250W DE 14k Phoenix bulbs you would likely not need actinic supplementation also so you would have 500W total which is not much more then the T5 (and only $120 to replace vs. $300) and if you get good reflectors they could easily handle the area. 3 and you would be totally safe. Then you could keep anything you wanted and never have to worry about changing or upgrading!

Not sure 2 MH fixtures would do well over a 6' long tank and I think you would need to go with 3 which would put bulb replacement costs close or higher depending on what you bought as T5 lighting lasts a bit longer than MH lighting. I won't say twice as long for you guys that run your MH lighting for 2 years, but you can get 1 to 1.5 out of a T5 if you are anal and about 2-3 if you want to squeeze them or well over 4 if you want to run them to end of life.

Back