Zoa ID

Haha... I also never got the difference between these two. By that, I mean, I’ve heard people describe the difference, but I’ve never heard agreement and uniformity between distinct descriptions.

I believe this is just another example in which we should remember why we have names for different zoas. It’s not to distinguish species. And they are biological, not manufactured, so it’s not for quality assurance either. Rather, it’s simply to help make communication easier. For example; it’s harder to say “I have some zoas with a purple dot in the center, surrounded by an thick orange ring, surrounded by a thin purple ring, and has a greenish skirt” than to say “I have some eagle eye zoas”. So if there is no agreement on names, or if people want to rebrand zoas that already have names in order to increase their personal profits, then this is to the detriment of everyone.

And for the purposes of communication, if the two descriptions are well-known and similar enough, then it doesn’t matter which name is used. They are both good. Just keep doing exactly what you are doing by investigating first! ;)

And great photo!

Back