Zoa polyps not closing

scooter413

Market
Reaction score
Is there a problem with a zoa colony that will not close up when taken out to frag. Ex. I had to frag some of my zoas tonight and when I removed them from the water some of the polyps never closed and the majority of them did.

scooter413;1000083 wrote: Is there a problem with a zoa colony that will not close up when taken out to frag. Ex. I had to frag some of my zoas tonight and when I removed them from the water some of the polyps never closed and the majority of them did.
Nope, they are fine.

scooter413;1000083 wrote: Is there a problem with a zoa colony that will not close up when taken out to frag. Ex. I had to frag some of my zoas tonight and when I removed them from the water some of the polyps never closed and the majority of them did.

I prefer them to close before removing from water, why, I don't know. If they are persistent in not closing I gently shake them under water. If still being difficult I'll lightly touch the polyp to force the reaction.

60% of the time it works 100% of the time ;)

Thanks. Some never closed the entire time they were out of the water, but we're fine today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franciscosalazar;1000180 wrote: I would be careful touching/aggitating the disk as I've had polyps expel the zooxanthellae aka color.

He's talking about cutting them, fragging. Has to be 1000 x more agitating than touching.

Thinking about that though made me remember why I always wanted them closed... Squirting and palytoxins. Not that this is necessarily true but I always felt there to be a larger risk of a squirting accident if the ZOA remaining opened while fragging.

Try turning off the lights for about 20 minutes before fragging, the polyps should close and the coral won't be as stressed by the process.

DawgFace;1000283 wrote: He's talking about cutting them, fragging. Has to be 1000 x more agitating than touching.

Thinking about that though made me remember why I always wanted them closed... Squirting and palytoxins. Not that this is necessarily true but I always felt there to be a larger risk of a squirting accident if the ZOA remaining opened while fragging.

I think he means touching the open polyp in the air does this, it happens to me a lot and when you touch them they can "bruise" and you will see a black or brown mark where your finger touched. Too much exposure to the air can do it as well. I do everything I can to close them before fragging

tater;1001290 wrote: i think he means touching the open polyp in the air does this, it happens to me a lot and when you touch them they can "bruise" and you will see a black or brown mark where your finger touched. Too much exposure to the air can do it as well. I do everything i can to close them before fragging

+1

I've had them squirt in my eyes, opened and closed, and they both suck :) wear glasses

Back