Zoa pox!

calhounreef

Market
Reaction score
So what's the best route to take for treating zoa pox? Furan 2? I also read where fungus clear from jungle labs has the same active ingredients as furan 2, I think someone on reef2reef posted that, and that they had success with it.

Did my first treatment with furan 2 last night, gonna do 2 more dips over the next couple of days then see where we stand

bd0c52b242bb1c4f60eb6155cd14a8cf.jpg
alt="" />
7e958cef098cefd9461864a4a29c1aa5.jpg
alt="" />

Could be the last blurry photo talking, but are you sure that's pox and not just embedded grains of substrate? Many palythoa will incorporate it into their polyps. And you know how big wholesalers are on proper identification before they distribute something, right? ;-)

By all means continue with the treatment regimen since you're already through day 1 of three... done correctly it won't have any bad effect on a healthy colony and if it IS pox could have a good chance of knocking it out. It's not like you're going to lose either way.

Yeah sorry for the sketchy cell phone photo, I believe most of what's visible in the picture is sediment from the dip, I'm happy to say that what white spots were there seem to be gone! So I'm going to just let them sit and see how they do for about a week or so! Thanks BulkRate

No problem. my tank went through a couple rounds a couple years ago, was not fun.

IME if it is pox, you'd be well off to complete a full 3 day course. Just like any antibiotic treatment - partial dosing can lead to resistance.

Oh yes, did a full 3 day dose, now I give them about a week to rest and see if we need to go at it again

If the spots come back and further rounds of Furan-2 don't fix it permanently you might want to switch over to another antibiotic dip.

Cephalexin's worked well in my experience - can usually get from any vet once you explain the intended use and only need around 10 capsules in most cases. Uses the same dip time as the other, but you need to mix the powder in a shake-able container - does NOT dissolve readily in tank water.

But hopefully you got it early on and this is all done with already. Good luck!

By all means... if you've started with one or the other, see it through. I'd only bother switching them if you get 3+ rounds of treatment deep and the pox kept coming back.

Furan2 seems to be the most popular cure. Cephalexin comes in a veterinary form that your LFS should be able to order for you if they don't stock it, and you're not sure if you can get a doctor or vet to write you a prescription for it. Eaton Veterinary makes it.

Jenn

Back