zoa umbrella syndrome

york1

Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone ever deal with this? I have a couple zoa/palys that are showing this condition. My water tests out good. Have not changed anything recently. Ive done a bunch of research and haven't found any definite answers as how to treat it.

I've never heard of it but have definitely seen it in my tank. I always blamed it on different light intensities. I had a few that I picked up at the last ARC meeting do it so I moved them from the rock they were on to the sand. A few were like "umbrellas" for a few days after that but they adjusted alright and a fine right now. I've never considered it could be a disease because it almost always happened after I changed something and went away on it's own. I see you haven't changed anything recently so my experience isn't all that helpful but I can say that when I have seen it, it went away on it's own after a while.

Ya I am at a loss I even tried some fresh carbon and purigen. Nothing seems to make any difference. I have at least 30 different zoa/paly in the tank but only about 5 are affected

Is it spreading? Getting better? I've not experienced this myself but there are a few things that seem to help with zoa health. One is to regularly dose vit c. Not the ones you and I consume... but sodium ascorbate.

It seems to be isolated to 5 frags. Odd thing is i have 2 frags of the same paly in the rack next to each other and only one is showing the umbrella syndrome. Also it only seems to affect the full grown polyps the babies are fine.Everything else in the tank is thriving. I have been doing some reading about dosing vitamin c. Can you get sodium ascorbate locally?

Also if you have bubble algae... that stuff will knock it out but you have to dose it twice a day for a few weeks to see that happen.

Anyone ever deal with this? I have a couple zoa/palys that are showing this condition. My water tests out good. Have not changed anything recently. Ive done a bunch of research and haven't found any definite answers as how to treat it.

Are you (still) using this in that tank? -
dimethyliminoethylene dichloride, ethoxylate

What (little) I read of the umbrella appearance, is that it apparently goes away on it's own.

Back