Zoanthid eating nudi branch

Rocky Moreland

Reaction score
It appear that I’ve purchased some zoa’s that came alone with some unwanted hitchhiker. Nudi eggs.
I dip everything prior to putting in my tank.and now a couple of weeks later I’m find Nudi’s on my zoa’s
I’ve pulled all zoa’s out and re dipped everyone. Bought a 6 line wrasp ((hopefully he eats them)
Does any one know of a product that will kill the eggs?

Quarantine the effected zoas, you can dip them but it didn't kill eggs. I had them years ago, I would scrape off egg sacs with a razor and I bought a wrasse. Eventually the wrasse resolved my problem.

Does any one know of a product that will kill the eggs?
To address your question; yes there is a product that will kill the eggs too, but I DONT recommend it.

Potassium Permanganate. But once again, I don’t recommend it, not for veterans, and certainly not for beginners. It will stain all your coral brown. And if not done correctly, it has a high chance of killing your coral too (this may be especially true with soft corals like zoas). And if you don’t do it correctly, it can potentially not even take care of the eggs. And it can stain other areas of your house if you spill, and can stain your hands/skin as well... but you should expect to wear full safety equipment anyways. Third time: not recommended.

My recommendation: quarantine in a separate small tank. Dip the coral every 3-4 days for several weeks. And during each dip, use a pipette to blast the coral with water to dislodge anything holding on. And of course, manual inspection and removal of Nudi’s and eggs. It’s work... but if it were easy then these guys wouldn’t be considered pests.

Plus, the tip of a disposable plastic pipette is also rigid enough to dislodge eggs, but soft enough to reduce coral damage. Then you can use the pipette to suck up the eggs and remove them.

i started fresh water dipping my zoas ro/di water, my understanding is only zoas can take the fresh water dips. i had the same problem a year ago and it has disappeared. i also bought a yellow coris wrasse. i did have to dip them twice i think about 2 weeks apart i cant remember for sure but they are gone now.

Back