Zoas and nano tank question??

fishfarm

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I set up a 12 gallon nano cube a month ago, I've kept salt tanks in the 60-80's, things were different back then, when I started you had to mix your own sea salts!
I won this nano tank in Raleigh at their workshop, a couple of the salt vendors gave me some Frags and salt, I set this tank up after the long drive back to Georgia, Went to the store the next day and got some well cured live rock. I really expected every thing to die, we'll other than a soft coral melting on day one this thing has thrived except a few of the bright colored zoas. It went throught the brown algae stage early on, then a little red slime, now I have some filamentous green and some red macros algae staring to grow, purple coraline is really spreading on the live rock, even rocks that were white in the beginning. I have 2 sps, 2 lps, 2 leathers, 5 small zoas colonies, mushrooms and a clown, 20 lbs live rock, copapods are multiplying like crazy. Lighting is CF 1000K and dual actinic, it's bright, standard flitration with overflow in the back, (sponge, carbon, matrix, bio balls and return with power head). Lots of flow in this tank. Now the hard and soft corals have visably grown alot, mushrooms are multiplying, one live rock that had a few green and brown zoas on it is now covered but the bright little zoes frags that I orginally got with the tank are all alive, but each colony has a few that just never open any more, They may show a little color at the tip, a few rays stick out, but they never expand like the rest of the colony, they all did for a month, but just this week they stopped opening, some are in a lot of current, others are in the slack behind the returns, all get very bright light. I change 30% of the water a week, sg is 1.022, and I add some calcium once a week into the sump. I feed the clown, but that's it for food. Suggestions? Ken

1.022 is standard, but for reefs, that is a little low. It's safe, but you will not get the best from your corals.

Bioballs can lead to an increase in nitrates.

I'm not familiar with those setups, but can't you upgrade the bioball area to a skimmer section? That would be more useful.

Good luck, and it sounds like you're doing well overall

I upped the salinity to 1.026, everything closed up, I'm sure they will adjust by tomororow. Removed the bio balls, I'll see if a tiny skimmer is made for these things. It'd have to be very small. Ken

If you're doing 30% weekly water changes, you don't need a skimmer.

Make sure you're using a refractometer to test your SG, otherwise you won't ever know what your SG truly is.

Do you have a cleanup crew? What temp are you keeping the tank?

No clean-up crew as of yet, thought about getting some of the sand stirring snails, I have several small star fish that appeared from the live rock and at night I see small bristle worms and tons of copapods scurrying around. Since started with a pretty good bioload I have not been adding anything. Temp is room temp 75-78F. Ken

Back