Zoas closed, red slime??

bhodges82

Supporting
Reaction score
My buddy says all his zoas in one tank are closed and appear to have a red algae like growth on them. The growth doesn't blow off with a turkey baster, and is also on some coraline. Any ideas? IMG_0810.jpgIMG_0803.jpgIMG_0802.jpg

Cyano? I’d try chemiclean if it’s a major issue
Fresh water dip sometimes works but seems like it may not be an option

In my experience cyano blows right off without issue. I've seen red turf algae look a lot like cyano but that wouldn't be growing on the stalk of a zoa (I don't think). If you only posted the pic of the powerhead that would be my first guess after cyano but I can't explain how it would grow on the zoas like that.

We struggled with something very similar but it’s about gone now. Ever since we started dosing (very low dose too) with ATI 2 part it seems to have subsided and coral growth has exploded

We struggled with something very similar but it’s about gone now. Ever since we started dosing (very low dose too) with ATI 2 part it seems to have subsided and coral growth has exploded
Just wondering, which parameter was low to make you start dosing?

I had RTA at plague proportions in my last system. It never grew on anything else but rock. It also had a velvety appearance 3/16 to 3/8" thick. I don't know what that is, it doesn't look like Cyano or RTA though.

Reddish brown.

Was thinking Dino's too but they blow off real easy.

What are the water params? Big 3 and a nutrients.

Just wondering, which parameter was low to make you start dosing?
Calcium had dropped to 250. Had it double and triple checked at Pure Reef. The ATI is a mix of everything under the sun though. I think with rocks and equipment and all that my total water volume is about 90 gallons. We only have to dose one ml of each on opposite hours 24/7 to keep everything stable.

Alk is at 8.
calcium likely around 400 (need to setup doser)
Magnesium?
I haven't been able to ID but I've found similar issues from web searches, including the zoa's closing up. No ID but the consensus is that the bottomed out nutrients likely lead to the issue.

Here's one.

Oh the rust stuff. Yes we have had that too. I’m thinking it is also at bay now but not sure why

Back