Vice President
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
My zoas in the 32 Biocube, after doing fine for a couple months,
T1eo9e35e675a0kk8wjoweyt9aqzyy5gp.jpg
alt="20180322_165350" />
Tbilusn8wrz60zx6py47zmu04rv2nkh8m.jpg
alt="20180322_165339" />haven't been opening for well over a week now, so I put them in a fresh water bath, these critters came off, any input on what they are and if that is the reason?

The first picture is a nudibranch.  Im not versed on all the different species.  But, I believe its a zoa eating nudibranch.  The colors usually mimic what they are eating.  They will irritate the zoas and the zoas will remain closed.  They lay eggs near the base of the coral.  You can over come them by dipping and scrubbing the bases of the coral.  If possible it would be best to qt all your zoas.  Then dip and clean the colonies and repeat the process many times over several weeks.  If you qt the zoas and keep any zoas out of the tank for a certain period of time (I forget how long the lifecycle is) the tank will be free of nudis.

Your welcome.  Dont feel bad we all go through it sooner or later.  Im sure its way better than dealing with flatworms or other pests.

Just as an insurance policy you may want to add a small wrasse, they love eating these kind of pests and can see them much better than we can.

The eggs will be in a spiral shape and will not be affected by dipping.

You should also inform your reef dealer that they may want to get checked out, lol.

Good luck.

Back