Zoes moving off frag plug?

looks like smooth ceramic plug. Probably wanting a better grip, wanting a rougher surface to cling to. Not a fan of the smooth frag plugs.

I’ve never heard of zoas, palys, or any similar polyps (ones that grow from a purple matt) releasing voluntarily. However, I have seen them removed by hermits, snails, and fish... and then blown around the tank. So maybe it’s possible, but I’m in doubt.

That said; leathers, anemones/mushrooms, Xenia, and similar corals are definitely able to release and float around.

In short, I suspect that they either weren’t originally sufficiently attached, or that their dislodgment was assisted by another organism.

They might weren’t glued correctly, I’m just guessing, not sure how long they were in their plug before this happened. I actually have some zoas that are actually moving away from the plug and growing on the rock I have attached them to, might be they actually felt the light so strong there lol, I don’t know, thought about since is what anemones do to meet their needs in our tanks.

I have found that drying off the frag plug before you put glue on it helps, also if the zoa you frag is being cooperative I like to tap the bottom of it on a dry paper towel right before gluing to get the slime off. Be careful with paly's though

I have found that drying off the frag plug before you put glue on it helps, also if the zoa you frag is being cooperative I like to tap the bottom of it on a dry paper towel right before gluing to get the slime off. Be careful with paly's though

I do similar when gluing frags. First I wet all surfaces (I.e. the frag plug or rock). Then use either a dry paper towel (or a dry section of my upper forearm) to gently blot the area which is about to have glue applied. Same reason, it gets a better adhesion.

Back