135 gal Build

grimreefer

Market
Reaction score
Well I back in the saddle again. I picked up a 135 gal glass tank today from Salt Water City that will be an in-wall display tank.

Other things I currently have:

In a 7'x12' water room behind my display;
Two 55 gal barrels, RODI and Salt Mix, stacked on a rack and plumbed with a pump and valves so I can do water changes very easily.
I have a 180gal acrylic tank (72"x24"x24) that I am going to use as a sump

In a 14' x 15' room next to that;
I have three 60 gal acrylic tanks (48"x20"x15") that I am going to use for what ever, ie. frag tanks, a place to put new fish (not a QT) or corals or just a holding tank for what ever I need.
A 24"x24"x20" utility sink with 4' of counter space.
Racks and shelves to store all my junk (I mean extra equipment and supplies).

Everything will be plumbed on the same system and sump. I am aware of the chances, but this is a one tank system with multiple stations not multiple display tanks.

And just think, I sold everything back in December because I wanted out. I have come to the realization that I can't get out :lol2: .

Not sure if I missed anything and I will post pictures as soon as I start the build, hopefully this weekend

you missed all the pics man and what happened to the 180 from posidens why not just use it as a sump

Here are some pictures as of right now. The first (if I loaded them correctly) is the 135gal. I have to remove the baffles that are just siliconed in. The second picture is where the tank will be. The next pictures are my 180g sump and where it will go (where the two 60gal tanks are now). The last two pictures are my salt mix and RODI. I didn't post any pictures of the 14'x15' room is as it has nothing but junk in it right now. I will post pictures as I build.

Yeah, it's one of the 60gals I'll use for whatever. I put it in the wall this weekend and finished painted the wall yesterday. Man how fast things change in this hobby! It was only temporary to begin with, as you can tell by my sheet rock work, but I didn't know this temporary. Now I have what I need to do what I want. I have plenty of projects to keep me busy for a while.

hey lets see a pic with out the baffles in the 130...you said you have took them out now right

I did almost the same thing when I took down my 240gall, sold almost every thing and within 5 months I was back. I didn't know what to do with my time (Talk to the wife more):( I have a smaller tank now and I am running out of room.
Looks like a great set-up would love to have a sump room.

Tracy, that freaking tank today was heavy as a mother. Oceanic builds a great tank. Good Luck and don't forget to post the new build.

Me and my wife got it out of the truck. It was a lot lighter after we dropped it and it became smaller pieces to carry. j/k I had a buddy come over to help me.

Danny, I got one of the baffles out easily but the other is another story. I think I will have to leave it in and make my fish trap like I was talking about today. The reason is where it is silicone to the bottom of the tank they are two glass sections silicone to it the sides of the baffle and I can't get anything to it to cut it lose. I'll get a picture in just a minute.

Thanks Rit, it'll be sweet when I'm done.

This is the baffle that has me baffled. I thought the baffle was set on the section but it is actually sandwiched in between two sections and also the two sections on the bottom corner edges of the tank. No biggie though, I'll make it work, I wanted a section on the end to use a fish trap anyway. I make a baffle with a sliding trap drop in it to set on top of the existing baffle when I want to catch a fish. Open the door and feed on the small side, which I won't keep any rock or obstructions in, all the fish come to eat, close the door and scoop the one I want up, remove the top baffle and I'm done. I did this before when I have my 125, works like a charm.

Updated Pics. First picture is the tank with no baffles. The second baffle was a challenge, but with a little enginenuity and a small ball-pin hammer it all worked out fine as you can see in the next picture. :up: The following pictures are my sump with baffles, I made a jig out of plywood and cut in slots for the baffles.

ok from what im guessing you broke the 2nd one out is there any sharp glass left in the tank?or am i guessing wrong

No glass in the tank. I cleaned it all up. I was a nervous wreck breaking it out. I was afraid of breaking the tank. It took me about an hour to do it. SLOWLY! But no worries, all is good.

ok so once you broke it ...how did you get the peice out of the bottom...an I might add with thoses 2 out now this is going to be a smoking tank ...cant wait til you put it in the wall

The baffle was 24" wide and I couldn't get it out. Once I broke them into about 4" wide I was able to pull them out.
Thanks, I can't wait to get it in the wall.

Lol...Tracy you pretty smart ...for a guy who lives way out in the middle of NO where...lol

Back