150g Clown Harem Tank

adrian912

Market
Reaction score
So I am typing this out to be able to share with everyone what my hopes are for this build with the intention of getting feedback/opinions and perhaps tips on how to make what I want a reality. So the tank is going to be a 150g 5x2x2. It currently has two overflow boxes inside the aquarium but I will be gutting them and then sealing the drilled holes on the bottom pane of glass as well as putting fresh silicone to the whole tank. My reasoning for this is that the front of the glass is scratched up but the rear glass has zero scratches, I actually got this aquarium for free at one point and I banked on that being the story.

I am going to be ordering the Steathbox from custom aquariums and drilling it into the “front” of the tank so that the “rear” glass is now the new front along with their siphon stoppers. Ideally what I want to attempt with this tank is to have the stealthbox be the overflow with a return pump supplying water back into the tank like every single tank out there. The difference that I was wanting to try and accomplish was having two bulkheads with flat strainers and have it plumbed directly to the input of a second pump and then plumbed from the output of the pump back into the tank having a closed loop for that one pump only. My first goal with this is to have some redundancy in case my primary pump dies because I am trying to have ZERO wavemakers inside the aquarium. All returns would be fitted with a Random Flow Generator (RFG). Second goal is so that I can still have some flow in the tank while I feed the aquarium and whatever food that manages to go through the strainer would just get shot right back into the tank (hopefully?) and not have excess food entering the sump.

Speaking of sump I have zero ideas on which sump to even use. I was thinking of maybe getting a Trigger Systems Triton44 V2 so that I future proof myself for when I eventually want to get into corals in that tank instead of only anemones since it has a huge compartment for a refugium. For lights I was actually thinking of going with those Noopsyche K7 Pro 2’s, perhaps 3 or 4 of them. Do my plans seem to be in order or am I missing something that I just cannot see at the moment.

Maybe I don’t understand it right, but just in case. Also, I’m assuming clown harem includes nems.

I would be cautious about putting nems in a tank that plumbs out of the tank via slotted bulkheads (without an overflow/baffle intermediary). This is especially true if the bulkheads lead directly to a pump. Nems will always get to the overflow eventually, and I have seen wandering nems actually block 2 bulkheads simultaneously of the Chicago LFS.

When I arrived in the morning, water had pumped up and emptied the sump, which was now running dry and overheating. Meanwhile, water was pumping up to the display, but unable to get back to the sump due to both bulkheads being blocked. The result is that the 140g tank had overflowed and flooded the shop. It was a nightmare. Checking all the pumps. Cleaning up the small flood. Testing the water parameters. Refilling and rebalancing salinity and temperature. And unclogging the nems from those darn flat slotted bulkhead protectors without ripping their flesh into pieces from having to twist hard plastic parts.

Anyways, I now like overflows for nem tanks as an extra layer of protection against being sliced to pieces.

Yes, nems and nems and nems for days. So this is the overflow that I will be using that ultimately will feed the sump/skimmer and lord knows what else.

1574482232462.png

The other pump will get fed directly with these type of flat strainers on the glass wall.
1574482417996.png
I hope that answers and hopefully clears up stuff?

Back