150G LPS Build

roberthu526

Market
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been in this hobby for a couple of years but haven't really posted much. So I thought I introduce myself by sharing by build.

Right now I am running a 125G LPS dominant tank but the dimension is less than ideal. So after some planning I pulled the trigger on an SC Aquarium 150G that measures 5' by 2' by 2' with starfire glass panels. The tank arrived this Monday. I am getting close to finish the stand so hopefully this weekend I can get the tank setup on the stand.

Here are some pics of the tank. 150G rimless. This is the most beautiful tank I have ever owned. 15mm think glass on all sides and back is black. The tank is pre-drilled for synergy reef's 20" shadow overflow. I am still waiting for the overflow to be built and although synergy reef website says 1-2 weeks lead time, it turned out to be at least 3 weeks.

Ttg2ljki69hibkxioqv0iv0qxtualf71y.jpg
Tyseh3990mlmw85vowrqpsdomhghin4gb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking great!  I had a SC tank in my office for a few.  They make quality products for sure.  Please keep updating.  I'm subscribing. :)

I have some G3 Radion XR30 Pros that will go on this tank. I am going to mount them a little higher than recommended since this is going to be an LPS and softy tank. Besides, I like some more room between the tank and the lights so I have enough room to work in the tank.

Great looking tank! That looks like it will be a real nice setup.

Thanks for posting too! I'm definitely following.

Thanks. I plan to get the tank on the stand tomorrow but it's 300 lbs...

My buddy is going to come help but we can certainly use some help. I am in Sugar Hill so if someone close by want to give a hand tomorrow afternoon I have beer and steak for you, lol.

Frame of the stand is ready. Next is to wrap it up and get the doors installed.

Ttz09v90ve7caanlnezmnyzuitzsz31gn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well had too much fun with buddy last night and today is pretty much wasted I think...

Still having the awesome hangover effect right now....

Built a simple utility panel. Also did a little more work on the stand. Next step is to paint it thoroughly and wait for the overflow box to arrive so I can start plumbing.

T2y6t1bsrafc94wfyisczu2y2eh1rq2pi.jpg
alt="20180626_003710609_iOS" />
T2imlzmr2mlpraxacmv5an9iery767ni0.jpg
alt="20180626_003722992_iOS" />

Finally got the tank on the stand. Test filling right now. Fingers crossed.

Tx60yicjz29i85ua3b6skaovpncaihu54.jpg
alt="20180701_002616796_iOS" />
Tqned6lou8outne0q5t7cap7kbh3ppab5.jpg
alt="20180701_002621496_iOS" />

The reason I ask is you usually don't want rock in QT's, especially fish QT's. It gives pests somewhere to attach. Some 1.5 & 2" PVC fittings work great for hiding places for fish. I like to paint them black so it gets nice and dark in them, makes the fish feel more secure.

Yeah I hear you. I am a strong believer of hypo salinity so rocks don't really matter. Once I am done stocking the fish and turn into corals, I will remove the rocks and put frag racks in there for better observation.

I do think I need to get a black ground. Thank you for the advice.

Cool, at least you have a plan and I'm glad to see you're going to QT. A pvc piece or 2 still won't hurt. I've found the most of the fish I've put through qt use them, especially Tangs.

Where are you located?

Back