180g Stand Canopy Build (for crewdawg1981)

rededge2k1

Supporting
Reaction score
I just finished this build for Grant (crewdawg1981) and wanted to share some pictures with you guys. I didn't take detailed pictures of each step of the build like I usually do, because this stand was built almost identically to the previous 180g setup that I built for Larry (elFloyd). You can see that build thread here http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46562">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46562</a> if you're interested in how it all goes together.

As you can see, my design for Grant's stand is a little different than the one I built for Larry, mostly in the canopy (it has doors as well as a flip-open lid). I also added fluted trim on the stand and canopy at Grant's request. I'm starting the long finishing process today, lots of sanding/staining/sealing ahead of me! It will be stained "Brown Mahogany" made by General Finishes and will get several coats of polyurethane afterwards. Of course, I'll post pictures of the end result when it's all done.

Take care guys-
Dustin

My design model:
[IMG]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff269/smithdu/180g%20Stand%20and%20Canopy%20-%20crewdawg1981/180gStandCanopy-crewdawg1981-GrantRosekransRev3.jpg alt="" />

180gStandCanopyBuild-crewdawg1981-GrantRosekrans-003.jpg
alt="" />

180gStandCanopyBuild-crewdawg1981-GrantRosekrans-002.jpg
alt="" />

180gStandCanopyBuild-crewdawg1981-GrantRosekrans-004.jpg
alt="" />

180gStandCanopyBuild-crewdawg1981-GrantRosekrans-005.jpg
alt="" />

180gStandCanopyBuild-crewdawg1981-GrantRosekrans-006.jpg
alt="" />

180gStandCanopyBuild-crewdawg1981-GrantRosekrans-001.jpg
alt="" />

Very nice I really like that the canopy has the doors and also flips open. Very nice

Love the way you made the wide double door in the front look like two separate doors. I might just do that to the one I'm refinishing right now. It would only take a couple cuts to modify it. Did you add extra bracing above the doors and behind the remaining divider to take the weight from the longer span?

MorganAtlanta;568737 wrote: Did you add extra bracing above the doors and behind the remaining divider to take the weight from the longer span?

Yes, the front of the stand is a double layer of 3/4" ply. Probably unnecessary, but it made me feel better knowing the stand will literally be supporting a ton. :)

Dustin

Here's a picture of the completed stand & canopy, with three coats of Polycrylic. The stain is General Finishes "Brown Mahogany."

180gStandCanopyBuild-crewdawg1981-GrantRosekrans-014.jpg
alt="" />

I wish I was half as good with wood as you.. wait.. that came out wrong...

In all seriousness - amazing work. I'd love to learn how to do that some day. It's very impressive.

Guys, I'll update my build thread with more pics of the finished product... but this thing is NICE. Love some the added touches he put in and it looks very well built in person.

Thanks again!

i have a 120 gal tank i want to build a canopy for. I want to make it 48"x24"x14" want to put 4 fluorescent lights 48" and 2 mh with reflectors. Hinged in the middle so the front half opens up. can you design anything?

Very nice. I will be building one soon as well. What kind of ply did you use?

Hook;597814 wrote: Very nice. I will be building one soon as well. What kind of ply did you use?

I used 3/4" B2 grade red oak. I bought it from Peachstate Lumber Products in Kennesaw, I believe it was around $55 a sheet. It's cheaper at Lowes/Home Depot ($45/sheet), but is C2 grade and doesn't look as nice.

Dustin

Back