180G Triton Method

oldedb

Market
Reaction score
Not one to typically share my builds... There are a lot of members on here that have far more impressive systems than I have! With that said, I have read a lot about the Triton method and there doesn't seem to be many people running their tanks this way... (But there are a ton that have strong opinions about it ;)). So I will be the guinea pig and I will do my best to post updates here with pictures.

My goals - Purely and simply to see if all the hype is accurate. I will certainly be conscious of cost but I'm not really concerned at this point how much more expensive it may be than other methods.

A little about me - I'm not a very detailed person and I'm certainly not a chemist. I am someone who works from home and spends a lot of time in the home office on the phone. I got in to the hobby because I wanted something cool to look at! How I got hooked is no different than the rest of you. Ive been in the hobby for almost 2 years.

A little about my system - Estimated 180G total with a 120G display, 30G frag tank, 20G fuge, and a 40B sump. I have a mixed reef in the DT and my frag has kind of evolved into an LPS/Softy tank at the moment. I am converting from BRS 2 part dosing to Triton. Any specific questions about my gear... feel free to ask.

Tonight is the first night I am dosing the Triton. They recommend getting your Alk to a stable at 8dkh which I have done. I have a Triton test and I will post the results later but for the most part there were some surprises but all in all the results were what I expected. My plan is to start with their 4 part Elements and once I lock the dosing in let it run for a few weeks and then send off another water sample.

Dosing Schedule -

<ul>
<li>Recommendation is 10ml per 100L. My system works out to close to 700L so I am dosing 70ml per day of each part.</li>
<li>I am dosing their 4 part independently but based on my current set up I am going to dose 3A and 3B at the same time but in different parts of the tank.</li>
<li>I am using BRS 1.1ml per min dosers</li>
<li>So if my math serves me correctly, 70ml is roughly 64mins of dosing</li>
<li>Using my APEX, I am breaking this up in to 8 equal doses of 8 mins ea starting at 11PM and running final dose schedule at 6AM</li>
<li>Part 1 doses on the hour for 8 mins</li>
<li>Part 2 doses 20 mins after the hour for 8 mins</li>
<li>Part 3A and 3B doses 40 mins after the hour for 8 mins (separate areas of the system)</li>
</ul>
Will test Alk daily and adjust as needed. The nice part about this method is everything is dosed and adjusted in equal increments so if I adjust anything up or down, I adjust all parts the same.

Please feel free to post any questions. Will post pictures of my tank that were taken today so I have a visual compare as I go through the process.

PS: Anyone in the Cumming/Alpharetta area that needs to trim their macro in the fuge, I would love to take it off your hands! Currently I only have Caulerpa and need to add some other varieties.

Current tank shots...In order.
FTS
Left Side
Middle
Right Side
afc2982f91a426ccb31a14078a37bdd0.jpg
alt="" />
bd0e01e73eaf79e673d82c162712d0ad.jpg
alt="" />
26635652923492a3ff606d8515230c1e.jpg
alt="" />
06b4d18e46f5c7b8b0cda1f35629d2b0.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following. I'm setting up a new 130g and from the beginning the system was designed for Triton, (High Flow and Macro). I designed the sump to have two dedicated chambers for Macro, one for floating and one for planted.

FYI Unique Corals is going to start growing multiple different types of macro for sale

That is an impressive tank! Everything looks healthy as is...can't wait to see what it turns into. Following along.

Ugh I hate when I stumble on threads like this on day 1. Why cant you have the 6 months results already?

following :)

I assume since your dosing you've already sent samples in to triton and know your current working template right? If so I'd love to see the test along the way with their recommendations.

How much are the dosing additives? I'm trying to get an idea of the cost of this system. I know the tests are roughly $50. If you are dosing 70mL of each, how long will that last you and what is the cost of replacing?

We have fairly similar systems in terms of water volume, so I think your numbers would be a decent ballpark for me.

DawgFace;1028664 wrote: I assume since your dosing you've already sent samples in to triton and know your current working template right? If so I'd love to see the test along the way with their recommendations.

Working on posting initial test results...

Here are my initial results. The test date was mid-Feb. I made the corrections on the calcium. I don't know near enough about the other parameters (Bromide, Lithium, Molydenum, and Iodine) to begin tinkering with those. On the surface the simplicty of dosing and the idea that it also comvers many trace elements is one of the reasons I am making the switch. There is a guide that go's with these results with recommended actions. Because my tank is doing relatively well... I want to get the dosing locked in and then I will make the other adjustments after receiving the second test results.

Attaching screen shots in the order that they are laid out in the test results doc... Will also try to post a full pdf.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1028689=60968-1 - Unwanted Heavy Metals.jpg
>
1028689=60968-1 - Unwanted Heavy Metals.jpg
class="gc-images" title="1 - Unwanted Heavy Metals.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1028689=60969-2 - Macro Elements.jpg
>
1028689=60969-2 - Macro Elements.jpg
class="gc-images" title="2 - Macro Elements.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1028689=60970-3 - Li and I group.jpg
>
1028689=60970-3 - Li and I group.jpg
class="gc-images" title="3 - Li and I group.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1028689=60971-4 - Fe - Ba - Si group.jpg
>
1028689=60971-4 - Fe - Ba - Si group.jpg
class="gc-images" title="4 - Fe - Ba - Si group.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1028689=60972-5 -Nutrient Group.jpg
>
1028689=60972-5 -Nutrient Group.jpg
class="gc-images" title="5 -Nutrient Group.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
fieldset>

;)
Crew;1028666 wrote: How much are the dosing additives? I'm trying to get an idea of the cost of this system. I know the tests are roughly $50. If you are dosing 70mL of each, how long will that last you and what is the cost of replacing?

We have fairly similar systems in terms of water volume, so I think your numbers would be a decent ballpark for me.

So far I bought a 3 pack of tests @ $50/pc (I think I got a small discount for buying 3 at a time) and I bought 2 sets of Triton Base Elementz at $78/pc. So all in I have just over $300 invested. Each set of Elementz makes 10L so if my dosing stays around around 70ml/day then 1 set of Elementz should get me around 140 days of dosing.

Assuming you are weighing costs across different methods and you want to annualize everything then make sure you account for cost of salt or salt savings from no water changes. I would also factor in time savings based on whatever you think your hourly water change rate is ;)

Bcavalli;1028673 wrote: JD your tank is looking amazing! I'm following and very interested in seeing your results.

Thanks Brett... I appreciate all of your help with all of my questions and some of your generosity with frags. If you look closely, you might see some of them in the tank. I think the birdsnest in the upper right is from you. It is growing like a weed and has great PE.

oldedb;1028692 wrote: ;)

So far I bought a 3 pack of tests @ $50/pc (I think I got a small discount for buying 3 at a time) and I bought 2 sets of Triton Base Elementz at $78/pc. So all in I have just over $300 invested. Each set of Elementz makes 10L so if my dosing stays around around 70ml/day then 1 set of Elementz should get me around 140 days of dosing.

Assuming you are weighing costs across different methods and you want to annualize everything then make sure you account for cost of salt or salt savings from no water changes. I would also factor in time savings based on whatever you think your hourly water change rate is ;)

Interesting - so once everything is locked in, it's roughly $130 every 5 months (additives + 1 test to ensure you are still in the zone)

That isn't terrible at all.

Crew - That is a good way to look at it.... If my corals start looking like some of the others that I have seen run this method then that will be well worth it.

oldedb;1028693 wrote: Thanks Brett... I appreciate all of your help with all of my questions and some of your generosity with frags. If you look closely, you might see some of them in the tank. I think the birdsnest in the upper right is from you. It is growing like a weed and has great PE.

Thank you! The chalices are doing well and thanks to you I'm hooked on them! I can't wait to see what you show up with to trade!

oldedb;1028692 wrote: ;)

Now you you have me considering a change in testing methods and dosing. Lol there is always a better way of increasing growth, color and development structure of our corals. It's sounds like they really have done there homework on this and so have you!

Tested my Alk this morning and it was down to 7.84 dkh (Hannah Checker). Yesterday I measured it at 8.1 dkh. I am increasing each dose 1 min tonight which would take the total dose up to right around 80ml or an increase of 10 ml's. In case you are interested....my APEX programming looks like this

PART 1
Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/009:00/051:00 Then ON
If Time 06:59 to 22:59 Then OFF
If pH &gt; 8.40 Then OFF
If Temp &gt; 85.0 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

PART 2
Fallback OFF
OSC 020:00/009:00/031:00 Then ON
If pH &gt; 8.40 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

PART 3A/3B
Fallback OFF
OSC 040:00/009:00/011:00 Then ON
If pH &gt; 8.40 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

oldedb;1028689 wrote: Here are my initial results. The test date was mid-Feb. I made the corrections on the calcium. I don't know near enough about the other parameters (Bromide, Lithium, Molydenum, and Iodine) to begin tinkering with those. On the surface the simplicty of dosing and the idea that it also comvers many trace elements is one of the reasons I am making the switch. There is a guide that go's with these results with recommended actions. Because my tank is doing relatively well... I want to get the dosing locked in and then I will make the other adjustments after receiving the second test results.

Attaching screen shots in the order that they are laid out in the test results doc... Will also try to post a full pdf.

:yay:

Bromide, lithium and aluminum seem to be quite common contaminants that can buildup dangerously. Some are attempting to link certain salt brands with these industrial contaminants. I've heard even further speculation that some salt manufacturers are working directly with Triton to fix and verify issues.

Molybdenum I don't believe is a concern. Believe it's used in the nitrogen cycle during some point.

Back