2019 LPS Grow-Out Contest - Cyphastrea

Haha mine fell off when I was cleaning and it was hard to reach so I figured a goner. The polyps were in the sand. Looked yesterday and saw it was still living and had encrusted the other side of the frag. Crazy how things survive.

Mine never recovered, it must have been on the bottom as well because when I brought it home there was barley any flesh. Would love to try and do something like this again though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had to rescape the tank and move things around due to a rock tumble, so had a chance to look at the frag. It appears to be doing a little better, recovering from being stung by a tumbling coral :). We will see....952DE929-2E04-4256-A9B0-B7024F8625F7.jpeg

Look’s great! I’m not really interested in the contest, I am more interested in how everyone’s frags are doing since the swap event. Otherwise it is difficult to tell how optimal the environment I am providing is. Maybe some others that didn’t participate because of the contest will choose to share the status of their frags like you have done?

We didn't have a lot of participants for this but the ones we have are all quality! :)

Please post your final pics so we can get this finalized. Thanks!

disqualifying myself from the competition for not posting an initial photo.

But just for fun! here’s my frag, encrusting both sides (I love how Cyphastrea never cares if there’s light)

C67186CC-5A81-4DE1-96C5-0EB5B8B35A99.jpeg

147215F8-F561-486D-80C6-EF68D6968DB4.jpeg

I want in on the next go around! I'm ready to grow some sticks man!!!! WOOOO (sorry had coffee just now)

I didn’t take any of the Cyphastrea in March as I’ve not had luck with it in the past. Now I realize I was giving it WAY too much light!

I really appreciate seeing everyone’s pieces especially when you share the back story - what worked, what didn’t, placement, accidents, recovery, etc. The contest part is fun to watch, but learning from all of you is the best!

Now I’m going to see if that unfortunate piece I put on the sand at the back of the tank has recovered, now that it’s had a good break from my “loving care”.

I didn’t take any of the Cyphastrea in March as I’ve not had luck with it in the past. Now I realize I was giving it WAY too much light!

Yeah, Cyphastrea is one of the few photosynthetic corals that seems to thrive in low light, and will even grow well in complete shadow.

We look forward to including you in the next contest! It’s so much fun to see people’s growth!

Alright so it seems we have 3 remaining contestants and we had given out 100 of these frags! The colony I donated for this was huge and what was left of it is still growing wicked fast for me. Yes, they do prefer lower light and are not very picky about flow.

So @Cook , @Steve Burton , and @sharis100... please cast your votes, and its totally fine if you vote for yourself.

Alright so it seems we have 3 remaining contestants and we had given out 100 of these frags! The colony I donated for this was huge and what was left of it is still growing wicked fast for me. Yes, they do prefer lower light and are not very picky about flow.

So @Cook , @Steve Burton , and @sharis100... please cast your votes, and its totally fine if you vote for yourself.
I don’t know how to vote :(.

Back