2020 Growout Competition - Encrusting SPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActiveAngel

Contest Committee Lead
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
That's right, nearly a full year to grow out a favorite coral. This means if you have a stone skull, model spaceship, or even just a cool shaped rock... it will have plenty of time to encrust significantly, and you will be able to share cool pics with other people on this thread!

This contest is free for any supporting members! If you're not a supporting member consider joining, it's well worth it.

The Prize will be a frag of Beach Bum Montipora or another encrusting coral from my collection. And winner will be determined by vote (TBD) in December 2020, and consider cool-ness, coral choice, and growth rate. Depending on involvement, we may add more prizes to this contest ;)
JF_Beach_Bum__62353.1538884293.jpg
Just an example; I will post a photo of the actual colony later, and a photo of the frag during fall 2020.

To compete:
1)
Choose a coral; an encrusting SPS. Frags must be no larger than 1" x 1"
-You have flexibility in choose your species. It is not a growth-speed contest, although that is a small factor.
-You can start with a frag you already have, or purchase from one of our wonderful sponsors or local reefers!
-Please stay within size limits to begin. We're going on an honor system, and everyone can see your initial frag size. We all have at least a $0.25 plastic ruler somewhere.

2) Post a first photo of your beginning frag after it's placed in your tank, by January 31, 2020

3)
optional: Post an update photo every 2 months.
-Try to capture the coral from the same perspective as your original photo.

4) Post a final photo by December 7th, 2020.

That's it!

It may take a bit of work, but my intention is to create a collage or video of all the before/after photos! And this will potentially be shared during our December and/or January meeting!

Attachments

• 3F6B2790-1F28-4C93-90DD-102072338978.jpeg
    3F6B2790-1F28-4C93-90DD-102072338978.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 84
We're flexible on which species you choose. "SPS", "LPS", and "Softies" are, after-all, hobbyist terms and have no taxonomic definition.

Some good examples are:
  • Cyphastrea
  • Leptoseris
  • Leptastrea
  • Encrusting Montipora
  • Scrolling Montipora
  • Stylocoeniella
  • Porites (but these generally grow slowly, lol)
  • and more...
Examples of corals not to choose, for this competition, are Favias, Chalices, Platygyras... We'll cover them on another competition.

Question,
For GSP you can peel off the original rock and glue it to the whatever shape you want to but for SPS how do you do it??
How do you even get it to cover a skull or ship?? all my Encruster's are on a plug or plate. meaning if I leave the plate or Frag plug it would look ugly..
is there special way to do this?

Question,
For GSP you can peel off the original rock and glue it to the whatever shape you want to but for SPS how do you do it??
How do you even get it to cover a skull or ship?? all my Encruster's are on a plug or plate. meaning if I leave the plate or Frag plug it would look ugly..
is there special way to do this?

Great question! I copied it to a new thread in Reef Discussion, and provided some feedback. Hopefully, others come in soon.

My entry will be a wwc defcon cyphastrea. My oldest daughter bought it for me when we were at wwc a ways back and its still one of my favs for more than just sentimental reasons. I lost it when I had my nitrate spike but recently got a frag back from a friend who I had given a piece to. It looks particularly cool when it starts to take on odd shapes as that's when the different colors really start to come in. I'll get my starter pic up soon. :)

I want to play, anybody have a frag of a recomended encrusting SPS I can buy?

Let’s move this request over to the WTB forum

Last edited:
With the Holiday Party out of the way, lots of people are picking up their encrusting SPS corals! Who is going to be the first to post their submission?

There’s plenty of time before the deadline to choose something cool! However, the sooner we place our corals and step back, the sooner they settle in and begin growing!

That's right, nearly a full year to grow out a favorite coral. This means if you have a stone skull, model spaceship, or even just a cool shaped rock... it will have plenty of time to encrust significantly, and you will be able to share cool pics with other people on this thread!

This contest is free for any supporting members! If you're not a supporting member consider joining, it's well worth it.

The Prize will be a frag of Beach Bum Montipora or another encrusting coral from my collection. And winner will be determined by vote (TBD) in December 2020, and consider cool-ness, coral choice, and growth rate. Depending on involvement, we may add more prizes to this contest ;)
View attachment 14581
Just an example; I will post a photo of the actual colony later, and a photo of the frag during fall 2020.

To compete:
1)
Choose a coral; an encrusting SPS. Frags must be no larger than 1" x 1"
-You have flexibility in choose your species. It is not a growth-speed contest, although that is a small factor.
-You can start with a frag you already have, or purchase from one of our wonderful sponsors or local reefers!
-Please stay within size limits to begin. We're going on an honor system, and everyone can see your initial frag size. We all have at least a $0.25 plastic ruler somewhere.

2) Post a first photo of your beginning frag after it's placed in your tank, by January 31, 2020

3)
optional: Post an update photo every 2 months.
-Try to capture the coral from the same perspective as your original photo.

4) Post a final photo by December 7th, 2020.

That's it!

It may take a bit of work, but my intention is to create a collage or video of all the before/after photos! And this will potentially be shared during our December and/or January meeting!
Won't be able to add a frag to my tank by the 31st with cycling and all. Boo!

@NanCrab Don’t worry, there will be plenty of other contests to win prizes. I’m aiming for at least 1 every month. This includes one soon that is perfect for your current position; A tank growth contest. So take a few photos as your new tank is getting started. ;)

So I found two frags, but not sure which one is appropriate for the contest. Let me know what they are and which one works for the contest, And I will enter that one. They are both green and purple, but I totally forgot what they are :(. 3CB13AE3-6A51-4E92-8B0D-4BE7EC041B40.jpeg6E910716-EBAE-4B95-9CCA-12D1A7634C7F.jpegThank you!

So I found two frags, but not sure which one is appropriate for the contest. Let me know what they are and which one works for the contest, And I will enter that one. They are both green and purple, but I totally forgot what they are :(. Thank you!

Your first is a cyphastrea which would be perfect (and is the first coral listed in the rules). The second appears (to me at least) to be an acro of some kind. It has encrusted the base and is just starting to send up and out branches. Looks like it will be a nice stick some day but I'm not sure it qualifies as an encruster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back