20G LPS focused tank

northgahillbilly

Market
Reaction score
I kept a reef tank throughout my time in highschool and into the first year of college, as things got busier I broke down my tank and had my mom keep ~30 pounds of LR going with circulation and some light, it didnt get much in the way of upkeep past that for ~5 years. I graduated and the fiance and I are in a house now so it seemed right to get the tank back going. I grew up in White County, and any stores with salt, or other reefers, were FAR away which made it really hard to have a diverse tank and reach out to other folks, now that I'm down in Marrietta I have already gotten several frags form local folks.

The tank is an old Oceanic 24"x18"x12" that I got when a store was going out of buisness. I plan to upgrade to a deep blue 24"x24"x12" rimless tank, but that entails making a stand, a return pump, all that jazz so its a ways off.

Lighting is a 150 watt Aqua Medic with a 14K Phonix bulb supplemented with a Panorama Pro Actinic LED strip. Flow comes from a Jeabo WP-10 and a Koralina 425. An AC 300 filled with LR rubble, chemipure elite and filter floss gives some more flow and some filtration.

Im slowly building up a mix of zoas and palys, there is a small colony of purple acans, a hollywood stunner chalice, little encrusting red chalice frag, orange plate that's really coming into its own over the last few days, little watermelon chalice frag, purple green and red caps and a little birdsnest frag

Lone fish is a yellow clown goby, I gave the boss, aka fiance, her choice on fish and I think I'll end up with some clowns before too long.

Hope yall like it

image_zpsd69615d7.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_0140_zpsa0e5d8db.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_0135_zps33f67ae3.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_0138_zpsabcb2556.jpg
alt="" />

image1_zps872ee95f.jpeg
alt="" />

image2_zpsb73ff486.jpeg
alt="" />

FTS as of today
IMG_0039_zps4589279e.jpg
alt="" />

Looking forward to being involved here at ARC

NGaHB

MYREEFCLUB0070;952156 wrote: Looking good, like the pics.
We got to get you a bigger tank!!!
I'm lookin at getting a 24"x24"x12", 30 gallon, here in the next few months. Im a sucker for nanos tho, your going to have a cow when i unveil the 5 gallon living room tank :lol2:

I should be done with my 65gal build this weekend and going to start moving some stuff over, also need to lighten up on fish if you want a or 2 blue yellow tail damsels

MYREEFCLUB0070;952165 wrote: Their is another tank?
Your holding out on me?
Let's see!

Its still in the planning phase, but itll be along the lines of this one... this was a 2.5 gallon I had going for a year or so.
100_0125.jpg
alt="" />

MYREEFCLUB0070;952167 wrote: I should be done with my 65gal build this weekend and going to start moving some stuff over, also need to lighten up on fish if you want a or 2 blue yellow tail damsels
Let me know if you need any help, I could probably help on Saturday. Ima have to pass on the yellow tail devils, My tank is a peaceful domain :tongue:

Hey, mine are peaceful, all they do is beat up each other.
I'm polying the stand tomorrow let dry and start the build.
I had a fluval v, the 5 gal for awhile, just kept going up in size.
What next???!!!

Ended up getting up to Duluth yesterday morning and got three really nice frags from Rit at Atlanta Aquarium, thanks again for the buy 2 get 1 sale.

Rainbow monti
image_zps4641e1aa.jpg
alt="" />

Acan and chalice
42dfd764-8b7a-46bd-83af-031f8716dcee_zps2342d871.jpg
alt="" />

Heres a pretty good picture of the newer plate, the darker streaks on this one look really cool
image_zps307805ce.jpg
alt="" />

NGaHB

MYREEFCLUB0070;952765 wrote: Liking that chalice.
Its really cool looking, I've got it tucked WAY back in a cave at the moment, hopefully I can get it acclimated to higher light and get it out in the open. The red chalice is diggin the light now, the eyes have gotten extremely pink while the body has gotten a deeper red, also grew a new eye in the past 3 weeks.

Welcome to the club. Cool little system and yeah you are right... I like Rit's two-fer sale.

It's cool to have another North Georgia member ( or ex North Ga). I used to work for White County but I live on the the other side of the mountain. There are of couple of us here, if get a chance reach out to Holly (Raz0945), Picoreefguy and Shrimpy Brains.

Also, the ARC has a sponsor in Clarkesville-Dirk at The Petshop, he and his wife own the store in Cleveland.
Good luck!

Thank, I really appreciate it. I never realized they carried any salt, haven't gone in in probably 10 years tho.
I'll definatly reach out to the people you mentioned, I figgured there had to be some other people in the area but never knew who.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

GordoB;952934 wrote: Very nice tank!

Where'd you get the orange plate?

Thanks, I really appreciate it. The plate came from animart pets in powdersprings area, there were two things that caught my eye in there and I walled out with one of them.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Brief update, Im getting stuff together to add the sump. Using a CPR bulkhead mounted box, sicce 1.5 as return and a 10 gallon as the sump. Hope to have it all in by sunday.

I ended up getting a brain I had my eye on, it ended up coming in after partial trade for cheap, and was happy to eat within an hour of being in the tank.
IMG_0056_zps84077a28.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_0057_zps2ad1dff7.jpg
alt="" />

Ive got several new frags, but want to let them grow out some, and mainly get a better camera on them so I can capture how they look.

NGaHB

MYREEFCLUB0070;955906 wrote: Looks good to me!

Thanks man! Hows that Green cap doing? I've got a purple I need to SOON, your welcome to it if you want it.

Bgcoop8784;955907 wrote: Nice looking tank, and I really like that brain.
Thanks, Im looking forward to seeing it really puff out. I need to figgure out something for a base so itll sit on the bare bottom. I think I'm going to take a big blob of epoxy putty and make a cast of the bottom, let it dry then superglue it onto it

Back