250 gallon stock list

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
I am putting a list of fish together that I want to add to my 250 gallon. What are your thoughts on my list(aggression/non compatible)? Any recommendations of fish, or fish you wouldn't recommend? What is your experience? All opinions are appreciated?
Naso or Blonde Naso
Clown Tang
Achelies Tang?
School of firefish(6+)
Pair of clowns
Long nose butterflie( pair if possible)
Huma huma Triggee(reef safe?)
Yellow corriis wrasse(will this wrasse be compatible with others?)

Any colorful suggestions? Thanks

Gencanthus are supposedly very reef safe. I've heard maybe two stories on RC about them nipping. I'd like a Bulles or melanospilos pair some day.

HiImSean;1020349 wrote: Gencanthus are supposedly very reef safe. I've heard maybe two stories on RC about them nipping. I'd like a Bulles or melanospilos pair some day.

They do look nice. But if I was going to risk any angel, it would be an emperor:). They are just so pretty!

I would not put a Naso</em> in a tank less than 8' long. Clown tangs are notoriously aggressive and have poor survivability long term in reef tanks. Achilles tangs are notoriously finicky and are considered "expert only" by fish experts.

Also, firefish are not schooling fish and will kill each other off (except if you can get a known mated pair).

The only triggers considered "reef safe with caution" would be the Xanthichthys</em> species. Humas are not.

Check into some of the bristletooth tangs, the Zebrasoma</em> tangs, fairy/flasher wrasses, Genicanthus</em> angels (Sean mentioned- they typically leave corals alone), some of the more hardy/less aggressive anthias (Ignitus, Carberryi, etc), cardinals, a jawfish.

LSU_fishFan;1020328 wrote: I am putting a list of fish together that I want to add to my 250 gallon. What are your thoughts on my list(aggression/non compatible)? Any recommendations of fish, or fish you wouldn't recommend? What is your experience? All opinions are appreciated?
Naso or Blonde Naso
Clown Tang
Achelies Tang?
School of firefish(6+)
Pair of clowns
Long nose butterflie( pair if possible)
Huma huma Triggee(reef safe?)
Yellow corriis wrasse(will this wrasse be compatible with others?)

Any colorful suggestions? Thanks

Reduce the fire fish to 2.

Huma trig will kill off your inverts and smallish fish (eventually)

Why not get more tangs? That's a good sized tank and begging for more tangs.

I have a 6ft 210 gal and it has 10 tangs right now including:
Powder blue
Clown tang
Desjardini
Blonde naso
Hippo
Kole
3 yellows
Dussumieri

Plus another 10ish fish.

Right now everyone gets along pretty well with only the three yellows that love to fight each other. Everyone told me not to add a dussumieri after already having my big brutish powder blue established, but after a week of using mirrors now they all get along great.

Luke's tank is 60". It is not of sufficient length for a fish that tops out at 1'+.

stacy22;1020460 wrote: Luke's tank is 60". It is not of sufficient length for a fish that tops out at 1'+.
I disagree... respectfully of course, but I think the tank is fine to have a single Naso. There are far more people keeping tangs in smaller tanks. My blonde is roughly 8" and when I got him he was 6". 2" in 3 years that I've had him. It will take a long time to get to 1' and the op will likely upgrade or trade it before it's even close to that size.

With that being said Luke, I'm with everyone else on the fire fish. I've kept a blue throat trigger with all types of corals, but in the case of most triggers they will need to file their teeth from time to time which usually results in reef destruction. Inverts of any type would also be subject to being hunted.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. So only 2 firefish:). I love tangs and would gladly put more in, and I wasn't sure how many would be to much. I have been told in the past that if bought small, the huma huma would avoid coral. But I would rather have nice coral, and that could be the excuse to get a FOWLR;). What about the yellow coris wrasse? If I add it early, would he be to aggressive?

LSU_fishFan;1020539 wrote: Thanks for the feedback everyone. So only 2 firefish:). I love tangs and would gladly put more in, and I wasn't sure how many would be to much. I have been told in the past that if bought small, the huma huma would avoid coral. But I would rather have nice coral, and that could be the excuse to get a FOWLR;). What about the yellow coris wrasse? If I add it early, would he be to aggressive?
My yellow coris was my first wrasse and has never bothered any fairy wrasse I've since added

Back