5 strange questions

putemup

Market
Reaction score
1. How can my tank be aptasia free for several years now I'm starting to see stalks again?

2. Are there any fish or shrimp besides the peppermint shrimp (they eat my corals) that will actively at the 3-4 stalks of aptasia I have in my tank?

3. Is the coral in the picture alive or dead? Besides the small amount of green at its ends the rest of the coral is white and covered with alage?

4. What caused algae to suddenly attach itself to this coral?

5. How do I clear the algae off of the coral? I've tried pulling it off and scrubbing it off and nothing seems to work.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
999468=57807-coral.jpg
>
999468=57807-coral.jpg
class="gc-images" title="coral.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I'm no expert but I think algae will only grow on dead sections of the coral where the skeleton is exposed

1. Have u added and coral in the last several years? Aiptasia can be on a frag or rock etc..
2. I've just a few I'd use aiptasia x
3. not dead but not healthy. You need to cut the algae away and remove it.
4. Algae can grow on the dead skeleton of the coral
5. Cut it off or I'd use a hydroperoxide Dip

Jimmy

1. I have added many coral frags in the past year. So you are correct that is most likely the source.
2. The chemicals you refer to work great initially but in a couple of weeks the same aptasia returns in the same spot with friends.
5.Is there a recipe or type of hydroperoxide dip I should use? What is the application technique?

When it comes to aiptasia, it can take several attempts.

You'll need to make sure that they "get it" when you hit them with it. Best if you can turn off the flow and do it nice, slowly, and with patience.

What's worked best for me is a nice, slow approach. Landing the first drop on their disc and hopefully their mouth seems to "stun" them so that they can't retract. Then I give them more, like icing a cake. If I can cover them completely after that, that's where I gave the best success with them.

Lots of methods and schools of thought. That's just what has worked for me time and time again.

Hope this helps!

That coral looks alive - but brown. Coralline on the dead bits, but the brown bits look like they are polyped up. Got a better picture of the coral?

Jenn

Yeah the red stuff could well be cyano.

I still think the remainder of the coral is alive, but brown.

It's on the bottom - move it up to some more light and flow. Give it a swirly in some tank water (ie outside the tank...) to knock off the junk and give it a more suitable spot. Chances are the remaining live bits will colour up a bit.

Jenn

If you get your peppermint shrimp from a trusted sponsor and keep your tank well fed after the Aiptasia is gone, they shouldn't eat your coral.
Peppermint's are the easiest way for removal.

Thanks for all of the suggestions:

I removed the coral today. After close examination it looked beyond my capabilities to heal it.
I have some joe's juice so I guess I'm going to try the to try it on the three observable stalks of aptasia I can see. I'm gonna have to pass on the shrimp though. I only feed my fish a couple of times per week and the shrimp (in the past) have absolutely devastated more than a couple of my corals.

Once again thanks to all.

That's because they are hungry buddy. IF you have fish you really need to feed more than that. Reef napalm will eliminate the apps. Look up thread and follow instructions

1. How can my tank be aptasia free for several years now I'm starting to see stalks again?

You didnt see some on the backs of the rocks, or something was eating them and has now stopped.

2. Are there any fish or shrimp besides the peppermint shrimp (they eat my corals) that will actively at the 3-4 stalks of aptasia I have in my tank?

No. Peppermint shrimp, aptasia eating nudies and the file fish can eat them but there is no guarantee on any and if they are well fed they usually dont even look at them.

3. Is the coral in the picture alive or dead? Besides the small amount of green at its ends the rest of the coral is white and covered with alage?

Browned and pissed off and dead at the base. Tips are fine just needs a better environment

4. What caused algae to suddenly attach itself to this coral?

Coral dies off in a spot and the algea grows.

5. How do I clear the algae off of the coral? I've tried pulling it off and scrubbing it off and nothing seems to work.[/QUOTE]

Tiny bit of calk paste or just frag it. I find its easier to frag a coral and remount it when its base has died like that. The algea grown is very hard to get off without killing the rest of the coral.

Back