55 gallon lighting options.

term_paint

Reaction score
Ok i just downsized to a 55 gallon bowfront tank...I want to be able to keep some hard corals and also a clam in this tank...I currently only have t5 lighting 2x39watt 10,000k daylight and 2x39watt atinics all on one reflector....I have a couple of options and was just wonding if this would work...

a) I personally dont beleive that this setup would work for hard and clam?

b) If i did a DIY canopy with a workhorse ballast with t5 lights 4x59watt 12,000k bulbs and compact flourscent for the two atinics at 96 watts each would this work??

c) I was going to go to metal halide but this tank has a center brace and i beleive that 2 halide lamps is just overkill....???

Any opinions would be a big help, I want to get this fixed. Thanks

I personally dont beleive that this setup would work for hard and clam?

You are correct.

If i did a DIY canopy with a workhorse ballast with t5 lights 4x59watt 12,000k bulbs and compact flourscent for the two atinics at 96 watts each would this work??

Possibly, and I'd be very impressed if you fit it all over the tank, as you will need individual reflectors to run T5 and a put a clam anywhere but at the very top of the rocks.

I was going to go to metal halide but this tank has a center brace and i beleive that 2 halide lamps is just overkill....???

There are many 2x150 fixtures that, IMO, would look great and give you the results you want, especially if you're running a 150w Phoenix bulb, which has great color. Also, the bulbs are relatively cheap and last a long while.

Back