60g Changes

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
It was pointed out that I don't have a build or tank thread. I did at one point but my tanks have been pretty, well, static, for 6 years. Same lights, same basic corals, same setup. However, I got new lights in December and have been making a lot of changes so I thought I'd start a long term thread showing some of those. I do not have a "before" picture per say, just a full tank shot I took when I got the new Radions put on. I went looking for an older picture and was able to put together a time line thought. I had a tank that was very heavily populated with montipora. In September of 2013 I discovered I also had monti eating nudibranchs. I tried to frag and dip but got frustrated as they tore through my beautiful colonies. Rather than put on my big-boy pants, I let everything just be. No more montis, and everything else in the tank had to fend for itself. I didn't renew my ARC membership and went into "should I just take down these tanks" mode.

At some point I started talking to my dear friend @percula again and looked in to upgrading my lights. It was time to come out of semi retirement. First, I had to get things in tip-top shape. I replaced all of my RODI filters, bought a bunch of salt and went to work. It helped that the new business I started was starting to do better because all of this stuff costs $$$. After a few months, I signed back on to ARC and got some new lights. Here's the tank in December.
IMG_20181215_163946.jpg

I had recently trimmed back the leather in the front right and it's pretty upset. This pic wasn't supposed to be public but it's the only one I have so there it is. I've since fragged and moved the LPS around, added a few pieces of rock and got some SPS for the higher levels of the tank. I'll take a shot later today and post that.

Rather than put on my big-boy pants, I let everything just be. No more montis, and everything else in the tank had to fend for itself. I didn't renew my ARC membership and went into "should I just take down these tanks" mode.
Thank you for sharing. Posts like this are reassuring to me that my worries are not unfounded and I am a horrible hobbyist. So many times all I ever see are these pristine pictures and how great every one is doing with their tanks. This makes me think that there is no way I can do it, but then I see a post like this and come back to earth and realize we are all just ordinary people trying to enjoy our hobby. The best advice that I have received in the short time I have been in this hobby is:
Take your time
There is never a dumb question
There is no such thing as too much research
and most important of all......
ENJOY YOURSELF
@jcook54 I am sure now that you are re-energized again. You will have that tank up and running is all its glories very soon. Also you know I will be keeping you busy with all my question.

Though you claim it was neglected, it is still so pretty. Look at all that coraline!!! My urchin would be in heaven! I think we all get discouraged, busy or go thru slumps in life and hobbies are no differenet. I have started tanks before and could not get them to the place I was trying to, so did something different with them or sold them. I am glad you are re-energized and appreciate all your input, help and advice around here. Also, glad you now have a thread for us to follow!

It's been while and the tank looked pretty good today so I thought an update was in order. Looking back at the last picture I posted, I realize how much things have changed. A lot of my "reef time" has been dedicated to the frag system I keep downstairs but this one actually ends up being the one I look at most often. I'm happy to report that the giant, evil Clarkii clown has been removed and I was able to add a few more fish to my liking. Thanks @adamdaniel210 and Classic City Aquarium for taking her in and finding her a new home. I had that fish for so long, it was weird getting rid of her.

IMG_20200127_134547.jpg IMG_20200127_134640.jpg IMG_20200127_134655.jpg IMG_20200127_134705.jpg IMG_20200127_134724.jpg

What is that chalice? looking thing in the 4th picture? Tank is looking good

That particular chalice is "Cook's Pink Splatter Blue Death Fire" It's a very limited edition, you've probably never heard of it. Honestly though, I don't know that it has a name. I bought it about 10 yrs ago at a former sponsor, Keen Reef. Most of it's time in my tank it's been blue/purple but with the higher intensity lights, a lot more pink has started popping up. I really like it! Here's a closer shot that just isn't quite in focus.

IMG_20200119_165715.jpg

That particular chalice is "Cook's Pink Splatter Blue Death Fire" It's a very limited edition, you've probably never heard of it. Honestly though, I don't know that it has a name. I bought it about 10 yrs ago at a former sponsor, Keen Reef. Most of it's time in my tank it's been blue/purple but with the higher intensity lights, a lot more pink has started popping up. I really like it! Here's a closer shot that just isn't quite in focus.

View attachment 17324
If you ever frag it keep me in mind

Very nice! Love all the purple algea! My urchin would be in heaven! Seriously though! It is beautiful!

I thought I would post an update. There hasn't been a lot of change but I do have a few more stick growing. Namely the blue smurf acro, red planet acro and a strawberry shortcake. They aren't too big and kinds get lost in the tank but I'll take come better pics of those corals specifically and post them up sometime soon. If you don't have a tank thread, you should start one. I just spent the last few minutes looking at the 3 different whole tank shots I've posted and it really does show the progress that's been made.

IMG_20201122_125228.jpg

IMG_20201122_125126.jpg

IMG_20201122_125134.jpg

Me too! I look at the 3 different tank shots starting in March 2019 and I'm amazed at how much the stuff has actually grown. I wanted it to start being an SPS tank and I've got 7 new stick in their and they're all doing well. Shoot, 3 of them are pretty decent sized at this point and they're ll growing.

Back