75 Gallon Fish Only Tank

muhast

Market
Reaction score
Hello, my cousin told me about this site. Really enjoy it here! My dad joined too!

Anyways, I have a 75 Gallon tank (70 lbs of live rock)that has:
2 false Percula Clownfish
Bicolor Dwarf Angel
2 Blue-Green Chromis
1 Diamond Goby
And a clean up crew.

I am wanting to add more fish as of the ones I have are doing great health wise,but my tank looks so empty. I have tons of rock and small fish. The Angel and Goby are 3 inches, everything else is 1 1/2 inch or so.

I am looking for recommendations on good fish to add that can add some size without eating all of my other fish.

Tangs are my first thought. Iike Naso Tangs quite a bit. They are relatively hardy from what I've read.

I like Triggers and Puffers but the Triggers are aggressive for the most part and the puffers will devour the cleanup crew.

So any suggestions on adding size without my clowns and chromis being eaten?

Also, any fish store in the Cartersville area? I have been driving to Optimum Aquarium in Kennesaw and Creation Pet in Woodstock.

Welcome! Sounds like a nice tank. We love pictures.
As far as fish, a Yellow eye Kole Tang would be nice. Nasos get a little big for a 75g, IMO. Of course, that always gives you an excuse to get a larger tank!

Thank you!

I had a 30 Gallon tank that I maintained for 5 years. So I have experience with Saltwater tanks. I just have never had a good size tank so I'm now dealing with larger species that I was unable to keep before.

My issue is that my eyes are bigger than my tank is. I keep finding fish that I like that max out at 10+ inches. Now I'm not sure how long it takes them to hit maturity and full size either.

No worries. There are lots of us like that. That's why we always end up getting bigger/more tanks! :)

For instance, I love the Spotted Sweetlips! Very cool fish. But he gets 2 ft long lol. Way too big for my tank. And with his size there aren't many people I could give it to once he outgrows it.

Welcome
I recommend looking into some wrasses. There are many beautiful ones out there, and most are very active. Some are considered reef safe (dont eat cuc), but a lot of the more colorful speices are not.
Have you looked into crosshatch and blue throat triggers? I've heard of many people having success with them in a reef tank, with smaller fish.

LSU_fishFan;1047955 wrote: Welcome
I recommend looking into some wrasses. There are many beautiful ones out there, and most are very active. Some are considered reef safe (dont eat cuc), but a lot of the more colorful speices are not.
Have you looked into crosshatch and blue throat triggers? I've heard of many people having success with them in a reef tank, with smaller fish.

I have looked into Wrasses. I like the Harlequin Tusk but they are pretty pricey. Any other wrasse that has good size that you recommend?

I've heard Triggers are fine as long as you have fish the same size or bigger than them. Anyone have any advice?

Muhast;1047956 wrote: I have looked into Wrasses. I like the Harlequin Tusk but they are pretty pricey. Any other wrasse that has good size that you recommend?

I've heard Triggers are fine as long as you have fish the same size or bigger than them. Anyone have any advice?

Banana, Christmas, coris, any fairy or flasher wrasse, all bring color to the tank, but none are huge fish, abs more than likely wont grow more than 3-5 inches long

LSU_fishFan;1047959 wrote: Banana, Christmas, coris, any fairy or flasher wrasse, all bring color to the tank, but none are huge fish, abs more than likely wont grow more than 3-5 inches long

Thank you, I'll look into those. Any idea if there are stores anywhere near my area? I love in Cartersville. I just know of Optimum Aquarium in Kennesaw and Creation Pet in Woodstock

Muhast;1047960 wrote: Thank you, I'll look into those. Any idea if there are stores anywhere near my area? I love in Cartersville. I just know of Optimum Aquarium in Kennesaw and Creation Pet in Woodstock

Those are the only two I'm familiar with. If you are willing to travel, pure reef, the fish store, the Aviarium, and Atlanta aquarium all have good selections of fish. I've heard many say that the aviarium and Atlanta aquarium both have great selection and price on wrasses.

Premier Aquatics in Marietta and Reef Shac is in Smyrna, to name a couple more. Check out the sponsor map, it lists all them:
index.php

P.S., if you can make it to Pure Reef in Alpharetta, you will not be disappointed...

I would add that about the only tang that would do well in a tank that size long term would be a Kole. The rest need more swim room to be happy and healthy. With that size tank, I would look for more medium size fish and not large fish. I believe you will get more enjoyment that way. Last, welcome. We are glad you joined us.

rdnelson99;1047980 wrote: I would add that about the only tang that would do well in a tank that size long term would be a Kole. The rest need more swim room to be happy and healthy. With that size tank, I would look for more medium size fish and not large fish. I believe you will get more enjoyment that way. Last, welcome. We are glad you joined us.

Thanks for your reply. Optimum and Creation Pet both suggested Yellow Tangs would do well in my tank.

So in your opinion, I'd be wise to avoid them too? Interesting. Good tip.

What medium size fish do you recommend?

I believe a yellow will out grow it in time. To add some color and lots of action add some Chromis. They are cheap and you can get several for the price of one bigger fish. They will school. Buy in odd numbers for best results. Fire fish are always Dunn and very pretty. Bonus are fun to watch.

Back