77 day old Flame Angel randomly found dead

davidinga

Market
Reaction score
Not sure what happened but my flame angel I bought 77 days ago from my lfs I found dead on my sandbed this morning without a mark on him. :-(

Here's my info:

9 month old 210gal
Mixed reef sps, lps, nems, softies, about 10 fish, cuc
75gal sump 900gph turnover
Two WP40'S for dt circulation
Skimmer, chaeto, gfo, occasional gac, lr, ls
Dose kalk, alk, cal, occasional: iodide, reef traces, fuel

pH 8.15 night 8.25 day
79.7f
9.4alk
445cal
1280mag
PO4 no test kit
NO3 zero
NH3/4 zero

No signs of stress or disease on any other fish in the tank. He was always eating from day 1 and was eating the night before he died. Always fed plenty of Rods food, nori, flakes, pellets, mysis.

Here are my theories for death in order of most probable:

Cyanide poisoning

Internal parasite (would he have continued eating though?)

Got to close to a anemone (have a lta and bta)
Got stabbed by my foxface spine

Something concerning water quality

What are your thoughts? Would a fish exposed to cyanide live so long and remain so healthy then one day drop dead?

I tried to attach a pic of the fish after I found him but Tapatalk is not cooperating at the moment....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Sadly this just happens. I lost a very expensive angel that had been in my tank for several months and no signs of stress either :( This hobby sure is frustrating at times.

AFDANW;916309 wrote: I had an issue very simial. I had a flame angel die. Replaced him with another. he died. Replaced him with a coral beauty, he died. All paramaters in the tank were good and nothing seamed out of place. It always happened at night, so by the time i saw the dead fish, they were half eaten by clean up crew. Turned out my damsil went crazy and was killing them at night. Gave the damsil to a friend with a predator tank. Now everything in my tank is living, he just didnt like angle fish (raceist damsil). The damsil is mean enough to survive in the predator tanktank, but not strong enough to kill off the things in the predator tank.

That being said, my first guess is he got killed by another fish, like your foxface. I have nothing to back this up with other than most of my fish deaths (and all of my angle fish deaths) have been from other fish.

Is the damsel racist, or might it be atheist?

Seriously, sorry for my pathetic attempt at humor, and for your loss. I've had a coral beauty for the entire year my tank has been set up, with damsels and various other fish, and so far he's still around. I agree with glxtrix, many frustrating mysteries in this hobby.

Just a thought to consider, even though the angel was eating was it putting on weight? I've had to treat fish for internal parasites that even though the fish was eating well, it was still too thin no matter how much I was able to feed. Lost a couple of fish over time even with treatment with similar circumstances.

Ya he was plump and healthy to the eye.

I don't have any damsels. 3 chromis though.

Maybe it just died of old age.... We will all get there (hopefully) someday...

Could it have gotten air bubbles trapped in its gills???

Idk shooting in the dark?

just josh;916666 wrote: Could it have gotten air bubbles trapped in its gills???

Idk shooting in the dark?

I'll put that one step above - he ran into a rock and died.

;-)

Sometimes it just happens.

Where did the fish come from? (In the world - Philippines, Tonga?) After that long it's doubtful that it was cyanide.

Was it skinny? Pinched belly might be internal parasite.

Could have been one of a number of things... sometimes we just never know.

Unfortunate loss.

Jenn

Back