80/20 Stands, light mounts, etc

Trizzino

Moderator Extraordinaire
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
I’m interested in seeing your 80/20 setups whether it be stands, light mounting solutions etc.

Thanks in advance.

PXL_20210201_000101917.NIGHT.jpg

This is what i put together with pieces of scrap at my job. Looking at this reminds me that i need to get some end caps.

You’ve seen the APS stand.

The Aquatic Life hybrid fixtures will be cantilevered off of aluminum extrusions mounted behind the stands, but unfortunately aren’t ready yet. This will give them a floating appearance.

Below is an approximation -

Attachments

• 4FC650EA-497E-4530-87A8-87CDB5562151.jpeg
    4FC650EA-497E-4530-87A8-87CDB5562151.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
You’ve seen the APC stand.

The Aquatic Life hybrid fixtures will be cantilevered off of aluminum extrusions mounted behind the stands, but unfortunately aren’t ready yet. This will give them a floating appearance.

I have an Aquatic Life T5 hybrid fixture that I'm going to make something like that to hold it up.

You’ve seen the APC stand.

@ZapataInc thats what I’m thinking about doing for the new lagoon. I want to hang the radion from 80/20 off the wall or stand.

@ichthyoid is there a way to mount the 80/20 off the center brace of the APS? I’ll only be hanging one xr30 off it.

I have an Aquatic Life T5 hybrid fixture that I'm going to make something like that to hold it up.

Those Aquatic Life mounting brackets aren’t cheap! The best local price I found on aluminum stock was at Home Depot. I bought self etching paint there too. Instead of using anodized aluminum-

Those Aquatic Life mounting brackets aren’t cheap! The best local price I found on aluminum stock was at Home Depot. I bought self etching paint there too. Instead of using anodized aluminum-

All of the 80/20 pieces even the black anodized ones were scrap pieces that we have at work.

I’m using 2x vertical aluminum members, mounted on 1/2 inch pvc going across the back of the stand and bolted on either end.

That will provide a 1/2 inch gap between the aluminum & back glass of the tanks. I wouldn’t want to crack a tank by accident due to bumping it.

Who did the fabrication?
I did. I designed everything and I ordered the pieces cut and milled from 80/20.net. They cut to 0.1-millimeter tolerance so assembly is a breeze. The tricky part is the design of the first one. IN particular which kind of fastener hardware to use. I used all internal anchors for structural connections. They are the most expensive but by far the strongest. Everything just bolts together. The only thing I cut was the decking. It's all 3/4 inch plywood skinned in white contact paper (no painting). It all went together very easily.

I'm thinking of running a tract around the inside of the canopy. Then if anything changes in the future with the lights it will be easy to add cross members.
This sounds like a great idea. I'm thinking of getting some Noops soon and would need to mount in my canopy. Would this kind of thing work for that? Would the lights be able to slide up and down the tracks?

This sounds like a great idea. I'm thinking of getting some Noops soon and would need to mount in my canopy. Would this kind of thing work for that? Would the lights be able to slide up and down the tracks?
Yes, I bought some tracks to slide in and out of the canopy of my office tank. I have not put it together yet.

Back