80/20 Stands, light mounts, etc

Yes, I bought some tracks to slide in and out of the canopy of my office tank. I have not put it together yet.
I've never done anything with this. If you have plans or a website you are following (although it looks like you know what you are doing) that would be helpful for someone like me who has no idea about this stuff...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Still in the process of getting everything dialed in!!!!!!!145757909_256303316007622_4430711380783977031_n.jpg

Attachments

• 145887560_1152171448552508_7688959185582977174_n.jpg
    145887560_1152171448552508_7688959185582977174_n.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 3
I've never done anything with this. If you have plans or a website you are following (although it looks like you know what you are doing) that would be helpful for someone like me who has no idea about this stuff...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, I don't have any plans. This stuff is really for one of the kind projects. My primary resource was the catalog and calculators on 80/20.net. I spent 2-3 weeks researching and designing before I pulled the trigger on the first tank. I way overbuilt my first one. I want zero wobbles. I kept reducing my excessive safety margins on the second and third tank stands. I did build my second light rack as strong as the first because I really liked having something strong I could grab on to if needed. I could literally stand on top of my light racks. They have already saved my butt once. Anyway, I would be happy to take you through the resources you need and share my experiences if you would like to take on an 8020 project. I chose this material because my woodshop became my fish room. I no longer had the tools or place to cut, build or paint. It is also lighter than the equivalent wood structure and I could build and move everything by my feeble self.

One other thing about my project. I wanted to mount my lights very high so I could look down over the tops of my corals. My lights are 20 inches high. We could do another whole thread on the issues I have encountered with doing that. I think I am where I want to be with it now.

Just Curious, why 20 inches? And what does that do to the PAR output?

Just Curious, why 20 inches? And what does that do to the PAR output?
So I wouldn't bang my fat "mellon" when I lean over the tank. It also makes it easier to clean and work in with long tools. These are frag tanks that I intend to play in. Not display tanks. It does reduce par but how much depends on the light. Most lights are designed to be around 8 inches of the water. Dealing with it has been a journey. Too long to go into on a single post. Maybe I will start a thread about it next week.

Back