90g Tank Stand Build

humptrax;146222 wrote: +1!!!!

I would highly recommend you get a piece of Styrofoam between your tank and stand.

Thanks!

Yes, Loren is wanting to put a foam board there. the middle brace is barely touching the wood. I've heard conflicting arguments... some say "yes, foam with glass tanks" and some say "no foam with glass -- just with acrylic"

Any suggestion on thickness of foam? Or should I maybe flip the tank over and insert two pieces of styrofoam, one on each side of the center brace?

Nice job guys! :thumbs:

Oh...and Linda...if one of your critters is in a position to see a dried starfish on the front of the stand, my guess is that he's already freaking out and the starfish is the least of his worries!;)

Linda Lee;146232 wrote: Thanks!

Yes, Loren is wanting to put a foam board there. the middle brace is barely touching the wood. I've heard conflicting arguments... some say "yes, foam with glass tanks" and some say "no foam with glass -- just with acrylic"

Any suggestion on thickness of foam? Or should I maybe flip the tank over and insert two pieces of styrofoam, one on each side of the center brace?

can't say for certain. here's a little excerpt from WWW:

<The foam/base is good for a small amount of uneven-ness of the stand base... but not a good idea to rely on it for more than a few millimeters over a few feet run... The sealant, glass can "give" a bit, but not too much. Bob Fenner>

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/aqstandfaqs.htm">http://www.wetwebmedia.com/aqstandfaqs.htm</a>

They were recommending 1/2" thickness for a 135G so i'd imagine you'd want a similar thickness.

humptrax;146222 wrote: +1!!!!

I would highly recommend you get a piece of Styrofoam between your tank and stand.
If you know the manufacturer of the tank I would recogmend going to their website to see their recommendation. I know glasscages wants you to use styrofoam. But I am thinking if you have a tank with a plastic trim you are not suppose to put styrofoam under. The tank is designed to carry the weight around the edges. I could be wrong, so don't quote me. Thats why it's best to go straight to the horses mouth, (manufacturer).

Wow! That stand is looking awesome! Wanna build me a hood for my 75? :unsure: I'll provide the lumber!

Keep up the great work! (Nice job of supervising, Linda.)

- Brad

Geehh;146239 wrote: Nice job guys! :thumbs:

Oh...and Linda...if one of your critters is in a position to see a dried starfish on the front of the stand, my guess is that he's already freaking out and the starfish is the least of his worries!;)

:lol2:

Back