93 gallon stand build

rodasphoto

Market
Reaction score
I may rebuild a stand for a 93 gallon cube I hope to purchase soon. I was planning on using 3/4 in ply and 1x4 oak for the face frame using pocket hole screws. Will this be an acceptable way of construction?

Also how tall should I make the stand? I would like some drawers for my Apex or build it off in a separate compartment in the stand with an extra door.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3/4" plywood glued and pocket screwed together is how I built mine. Then I trimmed it out with 1x2.5" that I milled down from larger boards it is very strong.

FF337;1111142 wrote: 3/4" plywood glued and pocket screwed together is how I built mine. Then I trimmed it out with 1x2.5" that I milled down from larger boards it is very strong.

Do you have any pics of the build?

I just joined 5 mins ago, but I am a cabinetmaker as my day/forever job. I've built a few tank stands over the years, and would recommend using wood glue (probably titebond 3, given the moisture that's. Going to be everywhere around any tank, ) in addition to the pocket screws. A 93 gallon tank is going to weigh a lot, so glueing every surface that touches anywhere, will add lots of strength. If improperly built, it could look amazing but not support what actually needs to be supported. For example, if you are expecting your face frame to hold the weight, it should be properly attached to the 3/4 ply that runs horizontally, most importantly. I personally would use biscuits or dominos...

Warren B;1111173 wrote: I just joined 5 mins ago, but I am a cabinetmaker as my day/forever job. I've built a few tank stands over the years, and would recommend using wood glue (probably titebond 3, given the moisture that's. Going to be everywhere around any tank, ) in addition to the pocket screws. A 93 gallon tank is going to weigh a lot, so glueing every surface that touches anywhere, will add lots of strength. If improperly built, it could look amazing but not support what actually needs to be supported. For example, if you are expecting your face frame to hold the weight, it should be properly attached to the 3/4 ply that runs horizontally, most importantly. I personally would use biscuits or dominos...

Do you have any pics of the stands?

IMG_1371_zpsapx1yc3j.jpg
alt="" />

So wad the base was made with plywood then molding was added with a hole cut out for the door?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes the six sided box is entirely 3/4" cabinet grade pine plywood with wood trim added. All joints glued and kreg jigged. The trim was glued and Brad nailed. The door was centered and cut using a jig saw. The doors were built entirely on the table saw.

FF337;1111568 wrote: If you want to call and talk about it I'll be happy to help.

I appreciate that. I am still a little ways from building a stand but when I do I will hit you up.

https://goo.gl/photos/LMGhfZR3pvnTZCWU8">https://goo.gl/photos/LMGhfZR3pvnTZCWU8</a>

Here is some pics of the stand the came with it. I definitely need a new stand. This one looks like the Marineland stand and it is held together with pocket screws and particle board. I definetly want my stand to be taller with a drawer and place to house my apex that is free from water.

I have one for sale that I had custom made and never used.. I am willing to let it go cheap. Solid white birch.. Very heavy. It was made by Allen

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108377">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108377</a>

If you are interested I am very willing to negotiate

FF337;1111541 wrote:
IMG_1377_zps537ytobp.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_1393_zpsxzvhw1nd.jpg
alt="" />

How tall is your stand? I am thinking about 35-40" tall for the one I am going to build. I also want to be able to open it from any side. I am digging the trim. I definitely want to do something similar to mine.

It's 40" I believe. Im at the beach and can measure Sunday evening.

FF337;1113621 wrote: It's 40" I believe. Im at the beach and can measure Sunday evening.

I appreciate it. How do you like the height? Would you go up/down from what it is?

Back