A good reef heater?

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
I have converted my 55 gallon fresh water to salt, however the heater just will not cut it. I cannot maintain a constant temperature. Temperatures range from 76 to 79! Is this normal for a heater?

I have another heater that is the same brand but smaller, that I can put on the other side to maybe spread the load. Would that work or should I buy another? If I should buy another what do you (anyone) recommend or use in your tank?

Thank you
Rickey J Miller
:fish:

no its not normal, buy a stealth heater swc has them and so does petco, dont buy any heater with glass on it.

What is going on during the flucuation? Are the lights heating it up?Is the ambient temp in the room causing it. Try turning the heater up to see if it keeps it around 79. I know in my tank that if I dont keep the heater set at around 78-79 my temp fluctuates because of the lights. How many watts is the current heater you are using?

If you are just looking to buy a new heater I recommend the stealth also seams to be good bang for the buck.

It's a 200 watt. It must be a generic, its one that came with a kit, so its likely a top fin (but there is no logo)...I've replaced everything else that came with the kit, so I guess now is the heaters time. Thanks guys for your suggestion.

Please get one that is not glass. My glass heater exploded in my tank last Dec. Glass was everywhere in the tank and some unknown black film covered the water surface. Luckily I was in the room on the computer when it happened so was able to rescue everything and I had another saltwater tank to move coral to. Another reefer on this site had the same experience only he didn't discover it for a few hours and lost all his corals.
I also printed off the web price and took it to petsmart and got the $21 price instead of $37 when I replaced mine with a Stealth
Sheryle

It would not hurt to get a more powerful heater would it? Petsmart has the 250w $7 cheaper than the 200w.

Back