Help with crashing system

Its widely believed that Chemiclean has Erythromycin in it. I don't remember which type of bacteria it effects, negative or positive, but with all the other changes its possible that the one it doesn't kill flourished.

I don't know which uv unit you have but in my AquaUV the bulb only lasts a 14 months. After that the UV spectrum starts diminishing.

On R2R Randy Holmes-Farley states that Chemi Clean contains erythromycin, in spite of the label stating no 'erythromycin succinate' (supposedly per German gov't tests).
This is likely a trick of semantics, as there are other forms and/or many ligands that may be used to bind with erythromycin in addition to succinic acid.
Erythromycin has been extracted and identified from soil bacteria as existing naturally in at least 4 forms, identified as A, B, C & D.
Erythromycin is active against most gram positive & some gram negative bacteria, as well as some fungi. This does it for me and just confirms my suspicions!
Looking at the metabolic mechanisms involved, it appears to interrupt the rRNA->tRNA interactions, so is a genetic translation disruptor.
That helps to explain erythromycin's broad based functionality & effectiveness. Not my cup of tea!
Biochemically speaking, I would use the analogy that it's like using small thermonuclear explosives to kill ants...effective, but possibly/probably lots of collateral damage!
My $0.02

I have used it a couple times too. It does work but everything must be followed to a T. I had no issues but, still not my preferred way to combat the problem.

There are consequences to employing antibiotics, most of which are isolated allelopathic compounds from bacteria & fungi.

My premise is that if it was used to inhibit multiple organisms in nature (for millennia), imagine the effect it must have in a self contained reef ecosystem.

Given other/nutrient based methods, I would prefer them. There may be a genetic component to that route also, however any change isn't as likely to be lasting.

A lot of research is beginning to uncover the wide ranging consequences of broad antibiotic use, from resistance, to IBS, autoimmune disorders, super infection...on and on.

Given choices, if I was aware that coral were grown in an environment where antibiotics were used, I would prefer not to put them in my system.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say I am sorry for all of your troubles. It is such a relaxing hobby until the cards start to fall. Sometimes it becomes a landslide. Just really sorry. Pray it turns around very soon.

I cleared and cleaned my 10 gallon qt then moved another pajama cardinal to it that is showing signs of popeye. I spent 30 minutes checking the other fish, they all look ok with no fin rot or other injuries.

I blew off the rocks with a pumphead, blowing out a cavern I forgot about. Wow the stuff that blew out of the cave....that may be where the missing fish ended. I hope to get some time in the next few days to dismantle down to the cave to see what is there. I may build that part back differently.

During and after blowing the rocks off, did another 200g wc via the skimmer over about 4 hours, paying special care to the temps. Also turned the carbon on and discontinued melafix.

I did a minor cleanup on my frag tank, which is still disconnected from the main systems. I also reconnected my chaeto fuge to my frag tank, also seperated from the main systems. The chaeto was starting to show a bit of dieback, which I cleared for the most part. I had to add about 40 gallons of watet to the 60 gal to get the water to the overflow, so anything keft should have been well diluted.

It looks like Wednesday night will be the next tank work night.

I hate these kinds of post and I echo everyone's sentiments. This is the worst part of the hobby. When things go wrong, they can go wrong very fast. I don't have much to add to what has already been said but keep us updated on how the tank is progressing. Once you're back on track I have a hammer with a couple heads I can give you.

That was a big days work! I pray things start to stabilize for you soon....

I had my first day with no losses....starting to stabilize I think. I have also stopped doing the massive wc's to remove the Melafix and Chemiclean. My skimmer still overflows fast. so I am doing a little less than a 10% wc daily using the skimmer. It takes about an hour to finish the wc this way. One fish still in qt and looking much better.

I apologize I haven't been much help, as I'm actually trying to learn from the situation and tag along fir the ride. Im sorry for all the losses and headaches, but I'm glad today was a positive one for you.

Tank is still looking clean as ever and holding. No more fish or coral losses in the past week:D. All of my softies are still quite deflated but have color.

I am still having challenges with high Ph though. The apex shuts off the lights at 8.4, which helps dramatically, but it still gets upwards of 8.5. Anytime I notice the lights are out, I dose 150 ml vinegar, which brings the Ph down. The added bennefit of the vinegar dosing is that my rocks are nearly spotless now. I am sure I am missing some key point with vinegar dosing so any input about critical failure due to the dosing would be well received.

The skimmer still overflows wildly, then shuts off when the water level drops. I changed out the carbon and am also changing the filter socks every other day. So far I am on my 8th box of salt (5 X system volume) leaving the system via the skimmer. I thought the treatments would be long gone by now. Any thoughts on making the skimmer stop overflowing?

Thanks in advance!

Any thoughts on making the skimmer stop overflowing?

Thanks in advance!

It could be the vinegar. Whenever I clean out a skimmer using vinegar they foam up/overflow badly.
I just question whether 150 ml. in however many hundreds of gallons you have would do it?

Have you tried to just let the skimmer overflow back into the sump and see whether it will break in? If the chemical treatment is gone, it just might be the skimmer?

Have you tried to just let the skimmer overflow back into the sump and see whether it will break in? If the chemical treatment is gone, it just might be the skimmer?

This is what I did for about a day, then I let about 2 gallons of wet skimmate out of the system - now it's nasty dry foam that won't collect in the cup!

Granted, my tank and skimmer are extremely new...

This is what I did for about a day, then I let about 2 gallons of wet skimmate out of the system - now it's nasty dry foam that won't collect in the cup!

Granted, my tank and skimmer are extremely new...
I had to let my reef Octopus skimmer run open back in to the sump for over a week to break it in on one of my tanks when it was new. Depends on the system and the skimmer- sometimes you have to be patient and other times the skimmer might just not be right for the system. My Red Sea skimmer broke in almost immediately in another tank. Then, on my frag tank my little Reef Octopus broke in after a few days. I just leave them open to the system and watch and slowly dial them in.

Back