A Heads Up To Vortech Owners

dannybradley

Market
Reaction score
Have any of you seen anything like this before? I went to clean out my client's Vortech only to find it rusting out inside the tank. Check your magnets.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
308606=15792-0316090843.jpg
>
308606=15792-0316090843.jpg
class="gc-images" title="0316090843.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

wow-I certainly hope not-mine's fairly new, but that' snot good--what are you gonna do about it?

After a little searching, they offer an upgrade/fix for $9.95. The new magnets are coated in a black plastic. I guess I'll have to order two.

Yeah, those are the old ones. If you bought recently, I'm pretty sure you're in the clear.

DannyBradley;308615 wrote: After a little searching, they offer an upgrade/fix for $9.95. The new magnets are coated in a black plastic. I guess I'll have to order two.

that's good and all, but isn't that pretty crappy that you pay in the neighborhood of $400+ for a powerhead, then it is defective, so you pay $10 each to 'upgrade' them to a part that actually works and doesn't rust?? I love my MP40, but that's pretty crappy business, IMO.

ericmcj31;308622 wrote: that's good and all, but isn't that pretty crappy that you pay in the neighborhood of $400+ for a powerhead, then it is defective, so you pay $10 each to 'upgrade' them to a part that actually works and doesn't rust?? I love my MP40, but that's pretty crappy business, IMO.

That's kinda how I feel. Early adopters often get burned, though. I did lose one acropora in the tank with no indication from water testing, but then again, I'm always putting rust into tanks to keep phosphate low. I can't say if it did harm or not, but it's not an issue a product that expensive should have. I'm sure this turned up in their product testing.

just glad to know mine's ok-but like I said, I think they should've replaced them for free-but no one from Ecotech called and asked for my $.02!

Boo that. I think mine are newer, adn last I remember they were still exposed metal. I need to check again..

Thanks for sharing.

Mine actually did the same thing, as I have a 1st gen Vortech. I took a couple of photos and posted them over on R/C in their forum. I had an email reply from Tim @ Eco Marine within about half an hour. He wanted to know my address so he could ship me the upgrade at no cost to me. I had it in my hands two days later. Great customer service!

reefknight;308910 wrote: Mine actually did the same thing, as I have a 1st gen Vortech. I took a couple of photos and posted them over on R/C in their forum. I had an email reply from Tim @ Eco Marine within about half an hour. He wanted to know my address so he could ship me the upgrade at no cost to me. I had it in my hands two days later. Great customer service!

now THAT'S customer service!

The customer service was 10 times better when the service was done by icecap. You call em, describe your problem and they send you the parts with no worries. It was bliss. Now they make you send in a request form with your credit card info so they can charge you for everything that isn't covered by warranty... which is the entire wetside. Not only that but repair took forever to do... Bleh.

Of course you could whine on a public forum and get what you want :). I'm going to try that next time.

FutureInterest;309088 wrote:
Of course you could whine on a public forum and get what you want :). I'm going to try that next time.

Hmmm.. RC does have its use. The whinny spot.

But that is a different story... :)

Back