A year of random mini-crashes..cant figure it out, about to give up.

Before all this happened I was experimenting with vitamin C dosing, then I got the PBT that caused my ich outbreak. Shortly followed by the start of the first event....

First time I had no clue what was happening, it was a very slow process over 2 or so months where one or two corals would show signs of STN at a time. I did many water changes and changed bulbs.

After the second time I cleaned and removed the denitrator. The circ pump had clogged and it was pretty nasty inside. Also did a mega water change and cleaned out all filters and the sump/fuge and vaccumed all the sand.

After the 3rd time, I switched salts and put the denitrator back on(since I was sick of doing weekly 100g water changes just to keep my nitrates under 10)

I am now on the 4th event, and from what Im reading here and on RC Im leaning toward it being either something chemical which the carbon is removing, the amount of BRS 2 part Im dosing, or my other guess was lack of strontium(test reads 0 unless I dose it)

Just in case I have replaced all my RO filters, and bulbs. Im picking up some chemi clean and will do a treatment followed by a 95% water change. As well as cutting my dosing down by half(possibly more)

I highly doubt its the foam but if it turns out to be the cause, then I will have to completely take the tank down to replace it.

EDIT : other info, I do not have a maid so no cleaning agents are ever near the tank and I do not run ozone.

Acroholic;697016 wrote: MY SPS/LPS were STNing at the same time, which was very odd, IMO, because if I ever had issues, it would usually affect one type coral, like SPS but not LPS. I will say that zoanthids/palys seemed unaffeted during this period.

The denitrator being the issue is a best guess scenario. I had tried most other things like Daniel did: new salt, no substrate, new substrate, frequent GFO/carbon changeouts. The denitrator was out of sight, out of mind in a corner of the area behind the tanks, and hadn't been serviced in well over a year.

Some research on the subject brought this article by Randy Holmes Farley up, including in it a table of H2S toxicity levels for various aquatic (FW and marine) organisms. No corals are given in this table, closest thing being a clam and some SW fish species.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/rhf/#10">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/rhf/#10</a>

So my best guess, given that all other things I tried yielded no results, the issue stopping after I cleaned out the denitrator, and the article showing that H2S is toxic to marine organisms, is what makes me think it was my sulfur denitrator causing the issues. Again, just based on circumstantial evidence.[/QUOTE]

Thats interesting. I knew hydrogen sulfide was toxic, but I guess I dont under understand how cleaning out a denitrator would prevent this from leaching in. Unless there were organics which fed in or the flow was so slow through the denitrator. But, secondly, I guess I wouldve expected a much greater loss is the toxic sulfides were entering the tank. Including fish, and palys zoas. Not just SPS and LPS. But, I am just guessing. I dont have any idea what would and wouldnt tolerate it.

[QUOTE=][B]EnderG60;697024 wrote:[/B] Before all this happened I was experimenting with vitamin C dosing, then I got the PBT that caused my ich outbreak. Shortly followed by the start of the first event....

First time I had no clue what was happening, it was a very slow process over 2 or so months where one or two corals would show signs of STN at a time. I did many water changes and changed bulbs.

After the second time I cleaned and removed the denitrator. The circ pump had clogged and it was pretty nasty inside. Also did a mega water change and cleaned out all filters and the sump/fuge and vaccumed all the sand.

After the 3rd time, I switched salts and put the denitrator back on(since I was sick of doing weekly 100g water changes just to keep my nitrates under 10)

I am now on the 4th event, and from what Im reading here and on RC Im leaning toward it being either something chemical which the carbon is removing, the amount of BRS 2 part Im dosing, or my other guess was lack of strontium(test reads 0 unless I dose it)

Just in case I have replaced all my RO filters, and bulbs. Im picking up some chemi clean and will do a treatment followed by a 95% water change. As well as cutting my dosing down by half(possibly more)

I highly doubt its the foam but if it turns out to be the cause, then I will have to completely take the tank down to replace it.

EDIT : other info, I do not have a maid so no cleaning agents are ever near the tank and I do not run ozone.[/QUOTE]

I would think that maybe changing carbon out more frequently would be a good stop gap measure.

The one thing I see happening (which goes against an old reefers mantra). is the stability is getting thrown out of whack. In desperate measure to "fix" the problem, everything is being changed. From lights to salt to substrate to you name it. That kinda undoes any stability which may be present. But, again, I understand the desire to "fix it" before it gets worse.

jmaneyapanda;697039 wrote: Thats interesting. I knew hydrogen sulfide was toxic, but I guess I dont under understand how cleaning out a denitrator would prevent this from leaching in. Unless there were organics which fed in or the flow was so slow through the denitrator. But, secondly, I guess I wouldve expected a much greater loss is the toxic sulfides were entering the tank. Including fish, and palys zoas. Not just SPS and LPS. But, I am just guessing. I dont have any idea what would and wouldnt tolerate it.

The article table gives different H2S toxicity concentrations for different things. The Mediterranean Mussel's H2S toxicity level is 9730 ppb, and the Sea urchin's is 50 ppb.

Acroholic;697049 wrote: The article table gives different H2S toxicity concentrations for different things. The Mediterranean Mussel's H2S toxicity level is 9730 ppb, and the Sea urchin's is 50 ppb.

I didnt even look at it. Let me actually read it before inserting my foot in my mouth.

It has some fish (albeit FW fish that are somewhat sensitive) as having VERY low tolerances to it.

I guess it doesnt matter though. Whatever worked worked. I just didnt understand how that was determined top be the culprit.

jmaneyapanda;697039 wrote:

The one thing I see happening (which goes against an old reefers mantra). is the stability is getting thrown out of whack. In desperate measure to "fix" the problem, everything is being changed. From lights to salt to substrate to you name it. That kinda undoes any stability which may be present. But, again, I understand the desire to "fix it" before it gets worse.

I completely agree which is why I usually let things go for a week or two to see if it works itself out. If anything Ill do a water change but thats it. BUUUT that didnt work the first time, or the second.

Aside from whatever this is, my system is as stable as its ever been concerning temp, calc, alk, mag, ph and so on.

welp, just lost 5 more corals and 6 more fish over the past week.

So this weekend I will start fragging all my corals, dipping them and moving them to a separate system. Then all the fish will be put in a different system and treated with meds and hyposalinity after which I will bleach the system and dry out all the live rock and sand.

Everything will remain in quarantine for 2 months, after which I will set the system back up.

Ive been avoiding this for a year now, but I cant see any other option at this point.

what a disaster but i agree you have exhausted all your options. just think how good it will feel to start fresh and not have to wonder whats going on though!

Back