AAAgghh -- Carnage --> major tank crash (GFCI)

soarin'

Market
Reaction score
Well guys, I just had a major tank crash. I came home yesterday afternoon to find out that the power had flickered this weekend while I was away (I left on Saturday at 4 pm to go to a picnic and then to my dad's) which tripped the GFCI I have on my tank.

So I come home and the tanks are dark, the niger trigger is floating at the top of the tank, and the maroon clown and mandarin are both dead at the bottom of the tank, the featherdusters have jumped out of their tubes and are lying at the bottom of the tank. Little dead amphipods were all around.

I got everything going again and started massive waterchanges, and it looks like 3/4 of the corals are going to make it -- my precious cespitularia melted, the plate monti died, the beautiful stylophora went, and a few others, but the Duncan, the GSP, the zoos, the Montipora Digitata, Red/pink Trachyphilliam and the GBTA (now twins) look like they will make it.

It just sucks -- I work at home all the time, and the power has never flickered once when I was here, and as soon as I leave it goes out and leaves the tank dark two days.

On the plus side, I found a way to rid a tank of montipora nudis. (which was another lesson).

Does anyone know of good GFCI's that won't just trip on a brief power outage, or do I need to put them on a UPS of some type? I am glad the tanks won't burn down the house, but I need the system to survive a power flicker.

Or do I get the fancy reef computer system to email me anytime a parameter is out, or a webcam so I can watch my tanks like a suspicious mother?

I think I am going to go the planted tank route -- watching my expensive and precious babies go like that is really tough. That mandarin was a female that I wanted to get a mate for, and I can't justify raiding the oceans for them (they are getting rare) if they will just die in my tanks like that.

What do you guys recommend?

I'm not sure how to prevent it, but I sure am sorry it happened to you!

I've got my return pump, powerheads, lights, and skimmer pump all on separate GFCI's so if one trips, it doesn't take everything out. It's not a total solution, but gives me a longer time to discover a problem....

Wow super sorry to hear that, i just installed a GFCI in my room today for my next tank hope that doesnt happen to anyone else anytime soon, sorry for your losses, but happy for your survivors. Hope everyone left pulls through.

Gwhiz;184799 wrote: I'm not sure how to prevent it, but I sure am sorry it happened to you!

I've got my return pump, powerheads, lights, and skimmer pump all on separate GFCI's so if one trips, it doesn't take everything out. It's not a total solution, but gives me a longer time to discover a problem....

But if they are all in the same room/ or even house and the power going to the house flickers it will knock them all out until you reset it right? individual power surge and you would be safe but if they all tripped thats what causes the losses

I am an electrician w/10 years in the trade. I don't use ground fault protection on my tanks because I know how often they fail and how unreliable they are. Don't put your hands in the tank with bare feet and the most you will feel is a slight tingle from stray voltage. Death and serious injury are caused not by voltage but the potential your body has to ground, interrupt the ground with tennis shoes and you won't get hurt.

Wow Soarin that absolutely sucks. You have such a beautiful tank too :sad:. I hope both you and the tank bounce back.

Thats horrible to hear with the time we all have invested. Just today the two rooms where my tank is located had some sort of power surge and screwed with my pumps a little plus my newely installed calcium reactor.... Just weird never happened before.

Awww man! So sorry to hear that! I agree with Barbara though - this isn't your fault and you didn't kill your fish. I hope you bounce back bigger and better than ever!

My condolences on your losses :sad:

Barbara;184927 wrote: Okay, here's a dumb question from a non-electrical person, Is a GFCI the same as a GFI? (That's what I've been calling it anyway.) 'Cause I just went out and bought one to put my tank on, and I haven't changed out the outlet yet, so maybe I won't is so many are against it.

GFI = Ground Fault Interrupt
GFCI = Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt

They're the same...not a dumb question - I had to ask too. :)

Barbara;184933 wrote: Bummer so really that means:

GFI or GFCI = possiblity of tank crashing
no GFI or GFCI = possibility of getting shocked or dying

What a choice, huh?

I don't have a GFI on my tanks either. Jwevans79 said the same thing in his post that our electrician friend told us - no GFI, no bare feet while working in the tank. I'm not thrilled about it and I'm sure there's an alternative, just not entirely sure what the alternative is at this point. Anyone have any suggestions to satisfy both safety needs and fail-safe needs? :confused2:

Barbara;184947 wrote: But I'm from the South (big whine.......) We do everything in bare feet down here!

Does it count if I have to climb up on a rubbermaid step ladder in my bare feet? I'm not on the ground then; just on a plastic stool.

Totally counts Barb...something between you and where the water could spill - so long as your body doesn't complete the circuit. Electricians - am I wrong here? (Don't want to give bad advice on something this important - I'm repeating what I've been told...is it right?)

ace1204;184802 wrote: But if they are all in the same room/ or even house and the power going to the house flickers it will knock them all out until you reset it right? individual power surge and you would be safe but if they all tripped thats what causes the losses

Not necessarily it's much more likely that one would trip and the others wouldn't cause, as others have said, they can be a bit flaky

Barbara;184927 wrote: Okay, here's a dumb question from a non-electrical person, Is a GFCI the same as a GFI? (That's what I've been calling it anyway.) 'Cause I just went out and bought one to put my tank on, and I haven't changed out the outlet yet, so maybe I won't is so many are against it.

Let me see---risk killing fish vs. risk killing me.....no contest. Sorry fishies....:aww:

jtshack;184950 wrote: Totally counts Barb...something between you and where the water could spill - so long as your body doesn't complete the circuit. Electricians - am I wrong here? (Don't want to give bad advice on something this important - I'm repeating what I've been told...is it right?)

I'm not an electrican, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and you're correct.

We used to play a game when we were kids with the electric fence--we'd touch the fence and then tell 'friends' that it wasn't on...'course we were wearing tennis shoes and they weren't. Or we'd simply grab them and touch the fence ourselves--easiest path to ground was through their feet. :eek: Lost more friends that way......

Gwhiz;184954 wrote: Let me see---risk killing fish vs. risk killing me.....no contest. Sorry fishies....:aww:

Well if you're gonna be all logical about it! :lol2:

I don't use GFIs due to random tripping. I use these in my tanks, if something puts volltage into the tank this is the least resistance to ground. If it is a major short your circuit breaker will trip.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3946">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3946</a>
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/184974=11232-probe.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg>
184974=11232-probe.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="probe.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Higher quality GFCI outlets generally do not trip like this. Lutron makes some decent ones.

Hmm...ok...this brings a new demension to the hobby. I have not considered the possibility of getting electrocuted. Please give me a scenario of this phenomenon.

I guess a rubber mat in front of the tank would serve as resistance as well?

Please enlighten me...I have kids helping me with this hobby.

Thanks!

Oh..yeah.
William...sorry about your crash brother!!

Part of the fun is getting there right? You get to start all over!
The whole..."if I knew then what I know now" delio is before you my friend!

I try to keep my glass half full!!!:up:

Back