AAAgghh -- Carnage --> major tank crash (GFCI)

Thanks for the support, guys -- I really appreciate it.

The reason I have the GFCI there is not so much that I won't get electrocuted (I sure hope I don't) but so that no electrical fires burn down the house.

I have so many lights, pumps, etc going near saltwater that I want to be sure that a fire doesn't start while I am away. I would rather the tank crash than the house burn down, but I sure don't want either to happen.

Thanks for mentioning the Lutron GFCIs -- I will have to check those out!

Barbara;184868 wrote: It sounds like you're being a little hard on yourself. This is not your fault. You didn't kill the fish. Get back in the saddle again!

Thanks Barbara!

I really appreciate everyone's support here -- it's tough to watch something so beautiful get hurt like that -- everyone enjoyed the fish so much, and the niger trigger (a 3" blue one) was gorgeous and lots of fun to watch.

On the plus side, I have learned that montipora digitata is pretty much unkillable.

I have 3 frags and a small colony of that and they are all fine.

I have also found out that shade is good for stressed montipora capricornis -- the part of it (it was a beautiful orange) that was shaded by another layer is still alive, but all the exposed part seems gone (I am hoping some of it is just bleached).

It is usually a very fast flicker that wigs them out. It would be kinda difficult to reproduce for testing purposes. Builders tend to use the cheapest ones available and are only interested in passing inspection. I have heard of GFCI stickers being placed on non protected circuits just before the inspector arrives. I'm sure that they don't leave it that way. :)

I have one of these with a small wooden airstone hidden behind the rocks. works great when the power goes out. cheap and very effective aginst loosing fish during a power outage.
<u><span style="color: #22229c;">http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753043&utm_medium=googleproduct&mr:referralID=NA&mr:trackingCode=8B68774F-C130-DD11-98CA-001422107090&utm_source=cse">http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753043&utm_medium=googleproduct&mr:referralID=NA&mr:trackingCode=8B68774F-C130-DD11-98CA-001422107090&utm_source=cse</a></span></u>[IMG]http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?ItemId=30129045&EID=30129045&SID=FROOGLE"></a>
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/185198=11240-silent air.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg>
185198=11240-silent air.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="silent air.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

jwevans79;184812 wrote: I am an electrician w/10 years in the trade. I don't use ground fault protection on my tanks because I know how often they fail and how unreliable they are. Don't put your hands in the tank with bare feet and the most you will feel is a slight tingle from stray voltage. Death and serious injury are caused not by voltage but the potential your body has to ground, interrupt the ground with tennis shoes and you won't get hurt.

This has go to be some of the most dangerous advice I have ever heard. You have absolutely no business telling anyone on this board not to use GFCIs on their tanks.

GFCIs are required in all new construction where there is risk of moisture exposure. I suggest you read the following publication from the Consumer Products Safety Commission:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/99.html">http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/99.html</a>

GFCIs prevent many deaths each year. No tank should ever be hooked up without them.

I have been using GFCIs on my tanks for the past 17 years and I have only had two fail. And when they trip they have done their jobs.

The beauty of GFCIs is that they a lot of the risk of mixing water and electricity away. They act as a passive safety feature for anyone mixing water and electricity. If anyone follows your advice and they forget to wear their tennis shoes, they may die as they become a path for current in their tanks and there is NOTHING (no GFCI) to stop it.

Their benefits far outweigh any reliability issues they have, which IME, are few.

Never run an aquarium that does not have GFCI protection.
Dave

Acroholic;185206 said:
This has go to be some of the most dangerous advice I have ever heard. You have absolutely no business telling anyone on this board not to use GFCIs on their tanks.

First of all, I NEVER told anyone not to do anything. I simply stated what I do in terms of supplying electricity to MY tank.

I don't trust GFI's. I deal with electricity everyday. The only way for electricity to kill or hurt you is for your body to be a path to ground. If you're not bare-footed, standing on a bare concrete slab, you won't get hurt. It doesn't take much to insulate your feet from ground. Ceramic tile, hardwood floors, vinyl tile, even dry carpet will give enough insulation, even with bare feet, to keep you from getting hurt.

I guess theoretically, if a lot of stray voltage got into your water and you put your hands in the tank while standing on a bare concrete slab or earth, you could be seriously injured. But since I, like most people have floor coverings, I don't see it necessary to have GFI for my particular application.

By the way, building codes that you speak of, are to protect idiots that would drop a hair dryer in a sink of water and not unplug it before grabbing it. I thought people in this hobby were smarter than that.

Acroholic;185206 said:

I didn't read where he gave anyone advise, he just stated he would not use them. I'm a retired industrial electrical/electronic tech and I don't use them either. They tend to trip off with surges when you have devices like most of us have on our tanks. Like I posted earlier I use grounding probes and I make sure my current load is balanced between the three outlets I use. I also maked sure all connections where tight before using and all my circuit breakers are good reliable name brand breakers. I also use the above named air bubbler from Petsmart.

You have a post where someone qualifies themselves as an electrician with 10 years experience. He has already set himself up as one with deep knowledge in the field, and as any member here knows, we have people on this forum who are teen agers to grandparents, male and female, with lots to little or no experience with electricity. So already you have readers with the potential to defer to someone elses's experience due to lack of their own.

Further in the same post, it is stated "Don't put your hands in the tank with bare feet and the most you will feel is a slight tingle from stray voltage." Sounds like advice to me. And later it is written: "...interrupt the ground with tennis shoes and you won't get hurt." Again, sounds like advice to me.

Obviously, anyone can power their tanks as they wish, but be careful not to unintentionally lead anyone without your own experience into a situation where they could be gravely or fatally injured, when equipment plugged into simple $15 GFCI can reduce serious electrocution to a simple shock. Cheap insurance for the non-expert.

jefft;184974 wrote: I don't use GFIs due to random tripping. I use these in my tanks, if something puts volltage into the tank this is the least resistance to ground. If it is a major short your circuit breaker will trip.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3946">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3946</a>[/QUOTE]

Does anyone have a second opinion of this product? Looks like a good solution if it works. You would not have to worry with GFI tripping. I currently do not have GFI. Now I am concerned about it and want to act. I can install GFI's if that is the only option...but I like this better if effective.

Please advise!!!!

BASSCYN;185315 wrote: Does anyone have a second opinion of this product? Looks like a good solution if it works. You would not have to worry with GFI tripping. I currently do not have GFI. Now I am concerned about it and want to act. I can install GFI's if that is the only option...but I like this better if effective.

Please advise!!!!

Hi Chris,
You are talking two different animals here.

The titanium grounding probes you find at Fosters and Smith, etc, are marketed to deal with stray voltage in the aquarium produced as a result of normal equipment operation, with their original intent aimed at preventing possible detrimental effects on fish, mainly Lateral Line Erosion/Hole in the Head.

Most Aquarium grounding probes are not marketed as a people safety product, but as a health guard for the fish. Online retailers market multiplugs with inline GFCIs for people safety. mere is one from marine Depot:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idproduct~TW38085.html">http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idproduct~TW38085.html</a>

The type of electricity a GFCI is meant to deal with is the type you would get if a piece of equipment plugged into household current, like a heater or water pump, etc, becomes damaged and the device's electrical system gets directly exposed to the water. This type of current is the stuff that can seriously injure. You might not feel it every time. For example, if a heater is broken, you may not get a shock if it is not turned on, but you will if it is.

Electricity in liquids is passed by the ions in solution, so it conducts much better in saltwater, which has a much higher conductivity than say, RO water or distilled water.

Here is a brief explanation of conductivity in water:
[IMG]http://www.lenntech.com/water-conductivity.htm">http://www.lenntech.com/water-conductivity.htm</a>

Also, here is a very understandable answer from the FAQ section at Aquariumguys.com about Ground Probes and GFCIs:

>
[B]I have a 100 gallon saltwater aquarium with a wet dry filter, UV sterilizer and flourecent lights. Sometimes I get an electrical shock when I put my hand in the water. Should I have some sort of a ground strap?[/B]

Using a titanium ground probe is an absolute safety neccessity for ALL saltwater aquariums. Of all the deaths attributed to the aquarium hobby, almost all are due to elctrocution. A ground probe will help prevent this from happening. The use of a Ground Fault Interruption electrical outlet is the surefire way to prevent electrocution, but the ground probe will also take care of stray voltage emitted from some pumps and other devices.

However, you cannot actually "feel" stray voltage, except perhaps through an open wound exposed to the water. If you can actually feel voltage in the aquarium, you are facing a far more serious situation which may only get worse. The first thing you need to do is to determine what piece of equipment is causing the problem. You can use a voltage meter for this purpose or another method, we'll touch on later. Possibile culprits include your UV sterilizer, a submersible pump, or a heater if you have one.

However, if you only get a shock occasionally, it is very likely the device that is leeching voltage into the water is one which is not on all the time. That might be a heater, or it could be the lights. If you don't get a shock when the lights are out, then the lights may be to blame. This often happens when home-made lighting is used, which we never recommend. It can also happen if the lighting is directly over open water.

Check your submersible pumps, UV sterilizer and heater for any signs of wear that might explain this. If you see hairline cracks in the housing of pumps or on the heater, or there appears to be moisture inside the heater, DISCARD AND REPLACE! These devices cannot be repaired and your life is worth more than their value. Take apart the UV sterilizer and look for breaks in the quartz sleeve or any evidence of a broken seal or gasket. Repair if needed.

An alternate method of determining what is causing the problem is to use a GFI outlet as a testing device. GFI outlets have two small buttons in their center, one labled "test" and the other labled "reset." When water makes contact with any device plugged into a GFI, the GFI circuit breaker will trip, and the reset button needs to be depressed to make the outlet "live" again. By federal building code laws, GFI outlets must be used if the electrical outlet is within three feet of a sink, toilet or other water source. The electrical outlets in your bathroom and sometimes the kitchen should be this type of outlet.

Run an extension cord to your aquarium from one of these outlets, and one by one, plug each device into the extension cord. The device that trips the GFI outlet is the one you need to repair or replace. Do not rule out the possibility that it is more than one device. Test all of them. Keep in mind that a heater will only carry voltage when it's on, so turn the heater up before you test it.
>

I would never run an aquarium without GFCIs.
Dave

The air pump is simple. you plug it in... if the power is cut off then the pump will run untill the power comes back on or the batteries die, which ever of the two happens first.

Would a UPS help with these small interruptions.

I know most of the UPS systems I have looked at don't provide very long backup -- but they should help in a flicker situation.

Thanks guys!

I saw a thread on reefcentral where a guy had a huge tank (90 or 120) and had his power out for 3 days and 4 nights, but had 2 battery powered air pumps in the tank for that period.

He said that as soon as the power came on the fish were swimming around like nothing happened and nothing died.

So it looks like the major culprit here is oxygen depletion.

It would be cool to have an automatic backup airstone type situation, I don't know how I would set that up. That would definitely work off a UPS.

The power flicker is exactly what happened -- it was enough to reset one digital clock and temporarily interrupt a DVR recording, but not long enough to reset the clock on the stove.

Back