About green hair algae big problem

Reef Rambo

Market
Reaction score
I have 125 gallon reef tank almost 2 year now.
I have big hair algae problem after year...
I took all the rock out in sun for month n put it back...after four month it’s a same stage..
I have enough cleaning crew.....may b total in 100...I have seahare,orchin,all kind a crab snail but no help..it’s keep growing.
I used 6stage rodi,I have phosgusrd,carbon,good skimmer,uv sterilizer.alage scrubber,I used phospate n nitrate contoler solution from brs,I try hydrogen peroxide dosing,,
I used 6 hours of light that also now I use only blue from month.
I do 2 weak water change,one time fish feeding.
My reading is all good
Kh n ph stays little low but no problem too any fish or coral they r fine n healthy.
Other are in control as well not really off like phospate n nitrate..
Don’t know what to do feels like quitting hobby...which I don’t want to...
But alage is nucence I don’t like to see my tank due to that. Plz help

do you have tangs or rabbit fish to help control the algae?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Picture of the algae?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mine is 60 gallons, larger tank would just need larger dose. Mine was hair algae not bryopsis, but dosed using instructions from this thread on Reef to Reef. I have more if you need it.

Maybe try going Back to basics. Testing and water changes on a very regular basis....make sure that you’re also testing your source water. I got water from a LFS one time that was loaded with phosphate and it made my algae much worse. Don’t take rocks out of the tank. It creates die off and releases nitrates from the sand which feeds the algae. Flucoazole may help and I would explore that route. I would just do one thing at a time and not try to throw the whole kitchen sink at it all at once. Stability will help the tank mature and it would seem that you have just been doing too much to let the tank settle down. Best of luck

Maybe try going Back to basics. Testing and water changes on a very regular basis....make sure that you’re also testing your source water. I got water from a LFS one time that was loaded with phosphate and it made my algae much worse. Don’t take rocks out of the tank. It creates die off and releases nitrates from the sand which feeds the algae. Flucoazole may help and I would explore that route. I would just do one thing at a time and not try to throw the whole kitchen sink at it all at once. Stability will help the tank mature and it would seem that you have just been doing too much to let the tank settle down. Best of luck
Do u to think it would die off by it self in future...or I have to scrub it manually

Do u to think it would die off by it self in future...or I have to scrub it manually
Given enough time without enough nutrients....theoretically it should die off and will get filtered out through mechanical filtration or just break down and get skimmed out.

I had an algae outbreak and discovered filters on rodi were old. Changed out and with a little scrubbing/removal of clumps during water changes it got under control. Lawnmower blennies are a good little helper as well as urchins as long as there are no other aggressive fish to harm them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Are you using a reactor for the phosgaurd? I had a similar algae problem years ago and one I started running a phosban reactor with GFO the problem went away. I think that you have a phosphate problem or nitrate problem which is feeding the algae

It sounds to me like an initial nutrient problem. And when you took all the rock out to dry, everything died, but the organics stayed on the rock. When the rock was re-introduced, it just added all the nutrients back into the system. I would recommend the crucial use of muriatic acid after drying to remove these organics if taking that approach.

Hair Algae can be a major pain, we all feel for you. I fully support using tangs, but also feel it’s important to use the right clean up crew. However, preventing an issue is one task, and doing a major cleanup is another. I actually started a thread a while ago to address this specific issue that many people have. This thread below outlines a solution; it’s a major pain, but essentially is a massive nutrient export plan.

Also, ensure that you aren’t over feeding the tank (this includes frequency, quantity, and types of food). Otherwise, once solved, it would just come back.

What are you reading for nitrate and phosphate? When I had similar problems my goal was to read 0 for both (Salifert tests). With the amount of algae you've got, any numbers will be misleading because so much of it is taken up by the algae. Even if they both read 0, the algae itself is evidence enough that there's stuff in the water. If I were you, I'd mix up some fresh saltwater and give me a call. I can bring over my test kits and we'll test both the freshly mixed water and the tank water.

Back