About new tank transfer

Reef Rambo

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys plz need advice
Have reeF tank for last 3 year...had some up n down..coz I made that all Overflow,plumbing,sump etc I did it by my self DIY.i want to buy a brand new system.if I do so how I transfer this old to new.?i mean directly All togather or there is certain way to do so.

transfer the live stock? if you're transferring the live rock and any media/live rock, just match the salinity and temp to the best you can and in they go. as long as you're not increasing bio load right away, the current live rock and media should support your live stock just fine.

I set up the new tank and let it cycle with sand and new rock , after it cycled I added live stock a little at a time over a week , then put the rock I was keeping in the new tank .

I've done several full tank transfers and never had any issues.

Get containers - not sure what to recommend as I don't know how much livestock, rock, water etc you have.

I always save as much of everything I can EXCEPT for sand - I only throw in maybe 2 - 4 cups of old sand and throw the rest away.

Everything else - water, rock, livestock etc - as much as possible - I keep in containers with small powerheads and heaters.

Add enough new saltwater to the new tank so that it will be mostly full when you transfer your old water in, bring the new tank water up to the same temperature - put everything (including that old water) in the new tank and carry on.

I've done at least 8 transfers this way and have never had any kind of cycle, no detectable ammonia, no livestock death etc.

Make a plan, go over your plan, execute - you should be good to go.

I always do a full water / leak / pump test before I attempt this - you want to be sure your new set up is 100% ready.

Thanks guys for the advice....
It’s 125 gallon tank not heavy bio load.i have got basic idea from this ..also does anyone has success to sale tank sump and all on this community forum or it’s better to sale over Facebook marketplace or any other suggestions to sale my stuff which I will not use.

I should have added - if you are adding sand.

RINSE

RINSE

RINSE

and then - when the water is completely clear - RINSE 2 more times. :)

Seriously - with enough rinsing even a 3" deep sand bed in a large tank you can have reasonably clear water within an hour or 2 of filling the tank.

Back