Acro Bleaching help......help....help

william1

Market
Reaction score
I have a green and grey tipped acro my favorite one and its bleaching from the middle out. It was fine before I went to work 6 hours later when I got home it had lost or shed its color in the middle. I dont know if I should frag it out or not looks like it to me. I need help asap
dscn29760100dy8.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Looks more like RTN or STN to me. Does the flesh look to be peeling/melting off? If so, I'd frag now.

All my parameters are good...

PH 8.4
DKH 8
Nitrate 0
nitrite 0
phosphates small amount
ammonia 0
salinity 1.023
temp 78
calcium 480

I have been running UV for the last month and a half with no problems I have added nothing new.

Get it out now and frag it up. It'll most likely be gone by morning if you dont. When you pull it out, look carefully for any pests. Acropora eating flat worms is one....generally they leave round bite marks in the flesh...and wont make the flesh peel off like that, but good to look for. You can google them to see what they look like. It's possible you have some type of swing in parms to make the coral do that.

How far from the area should I frag?? This sucks my favorite piece ahhhhh

Yeah brother I hear that. My unknown acro did the same thing, fortunately I was able to save it. Try to get away from the area that peeling by like 1/4" to 1/2" Thats what I do. Some frags will make it, some wont. Best of luck to you man. Sorry to see this happen. I'm working on the miracle cure to RTN....I've gotten nowhere tho :(

:aww: All done fragging so depressed I cant even post pics. This is the third thing I have lost in the last 3 months. Im tired of this.

I hear ya man, its definitely depressing. At least you took action and hopefully saved it in stead of losing it all together. Hope it turn out alright man.

I got 2 nice pieces fragged and a couple small we will see what happens. I will post some pics later. The 2 larger ones might make it, but the small ones I dont know. Thanks for all the help I guess if Jeremy needed a frag back now would be the time lol.

Any pic of what it previously looked like?

Also, imo, your salinity is a little lower than recommended for a reef. I see a lot of folks on RC's TOTM run it at 1.026, and I follow suit. Not that this caused it, but just an observation. As Lee said, a swing is more likely the cause than a consistently 'low' parameter. Hope the frags make it.

Heres the before pic. I think my LE piece is starting to do the same thing. Im given it a little while to see what happens. A few of the new frags from last night are still dying, and a couple of the larger ones seem to be doing fine.

dscn29460070jw5.jpg
alt="" /></a>

hmm. I had a HUGE bout of RTN and STN when I started running phosban. Once it started, I just had to sit back and watch the colonies die :(

I hope you're not going through whatever I went through. Good luck amigo

I started using it today but the dying of coral started last night. My phosphates are kinda high so I dont know if that had anything to do with it.

I see it on a piece of monte cap and I think my LE another favorite. So hopefully the reactor will help out a bit and I am working on the skimmer so it works better.

sorry to here that dude hope you dont loose any more corals .....this really sucks

Welcome to the world of keeping acros. I've lost plenty over the years. Losing any hurts, especially the ones you like. As stated frag it and as you did. Cut the frag at least 1/8" above the effected area. If you can go 1/4" that is even better.

If you lose it, I've got some SPS frags taking up space. We could work something out if your interested.

Good luck.

Back