Adding a sump to a non-drilled tank

mapleredta

Market
Reaction score
I have a buddy that has a 125, Its an older tank so its not drilled. My question is what would be the best way to help him get a sump for his tank? If you could link me a good external overflow and return pump. Neither of us know anything about this part of the hobby. Thanks for the help everybody.:up:

You can still drill the tank. Over flow and return pump are ok but that would push the tank too far from the wall and more equipment you have to worry about. Better yet, buy a reef ready tank that you can get reasonably cheap on here.

i didnt think you could drill the bottom of the tanks? could you please tell me more info about it purplegorilla?

You can always drill the back side if the bottom is tempered..As for finding out if the glasses are tempered, sorry I wouldn't know how to. How old is the tank?

A lot of fish stores will drill a tank for you, but I don't know the avg prices. They might even be able to determine what is tempered.

But if you just want to go simple, look for an external overflow on the forum. I think there are probably a lot around that aren't in use...

And for the return pump, it will depend on how much you want to cycle through and how far you are pushing it upwards (from sump to tank) but I'd think a MAG 9 or 12 would be ok and fairly cheap. But that's JMO.

thank you corvettecris, ill have him look into a external overflow. Is it possible to have a reef tank without a sump? I had a 55 with a hob skimmer but it was far from a reef.

A lot of people don't run a sump. It is really just an extra place to keep all of your equipment, extra water volume, and possible a refugium for delicate plants/animals. It has a lot of advantages, but none are really critical I dont believe.

In my opinion, if the tank is not currently set up and running, I'd drill it and set it up for the sump. You will probably want it sooner than later... :)

Reefcentral.com has a nice "Do it Yourself" section with pics and info on overflows and sumps if you want to read up. I would post a link, but I'm getting a page load error, so maybe the site is being worked on.

Back