Adding Controler

If you just want something basic, maybe look at a used AC II.

I got an Octopus controller from a member here and it works great. Okay, it doesn't have the fancy web interface but I'm in basic mode right now.

You are going to want the serial port (assuming you are connecting this to a computer), temperature probe and DC8 (the actual power ports). You will also want to add a pH probe to that.

LiveRock27;136565 wrote: I am wanting to do all the basic monitoring and controlling of pH and temp, but would like to be able to expand the system when I move it onto a larger tank. I also want to run the computer programs. Thanks again for the help.

I agree with Cameron that you want the backlit, with DC8 and Serial port. However, you must know that the AC Jr CANNOT be expanded other than to control more outlets. You cannot expand to more pH ports, ORP ports, web interface, etc. If you want expandability, you need to start with the AC III or AC III Pro.

Thanks yall. Well I guess depending on how nice the IRS is to me on tax returns depends on if I step up to the AC III or not. Thanks again.

Can't do more probes or switches, but can use an additional DC4, AquaSurf and LunarSim module. Will also likely interface with any new modules as well. As for the web interface, an upcoming version of the AquaController software will have a great interface for web control. I believe their current software can even do it.

I do love my AC3 though.

I looked at the AC3, but for now I am going to go with the AC JR. Thanks yall for all the information on every model and for all your insight into this area. I ended up going with this
a> and I know I need to order a pH probe (any suggestions

Ok, Brandon out of the goodness of my heart I'll give you $50 for your RKII so you can upgrade. But only because it's Valentine's Day and I'm in a really good mood!

Xyzpdq0121;134556 wrote: I have an RKII and I like it. It works well for what I need it to do but, yes, it is time for me to upgrade on my main tank. Cameron and others are right, if you want it to control temp (heater and fans) or if you want it to control lights, The RKII works like a champ. If You want ANYTHING more then that and you would be looking to upgrade. RKII comes with a "wavemaker" function and it sucks. You can only select ON:Off times with the wavemaker. For example. The pump has to be on for 60 seconds and off for 60 seconds. I can not have it on for 60 seconds and off for 15. The two values have to be the same. Would it have been that hard for DA to make this an option, no. Can they ever update it in the future, No... and that is what bothers me. I also wish I would rename channels on the RKII display. I never remember what is on channel 4 until I need to shut off something and I forget that is not the return pump but the halides... irks me every time.

All and all, if looks are not a issue, I would go with the ACjr.. To me it is like dating a beauty queen vs a Yale grad. The RKII is pretty but just not a lot of substance there but it makes great eye candy on the side of my tank. The ACjr might not be the most beautiful thing in the world but it has brains and I can carry on a conversation with it. Just depends what kind of guy you are. In my younger days it was all about beauty, as I get older in this hobby, I need a bit more substance!

Back