Additives / Snake Oils / and the Like

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
Over the past 9.5 years that I've been attempting to keep water suitable to grow corals in I've tried different things (thats an understatement). Every once in a while this or that will be the new greatest thing, but rarely does anything really make a favorable impact on my tank.

I wonder.. what have you all tried? What has been your experience with additives, and what impact did they have if any?

Here's the list of products I remember / with the impact I remember if any.....

Zeovit.. yea.. i did the whole zeo thing.
IMPACT = Well, yea, it did seem to help the overall health of the tank. but MAN IS IT EXPENSIVE

Acro Power = honestly ... i'm not sure... I've had a few bad experiences that seem to be linked to it, but i can't nail anything down specifically yet.

Prodibio (spelling).. = As I remember this stuff actually DID help the coloration of my colors. I used the bacteria and food, and .. well... it seemed to work.. go figure. The downside was that I couldn't find it in bulk, and dosing it was a PAIN because of how it was packaged.

I do Aquavitro Fuel every once in awhile. I feel good about it - no negative effects I can see except maybe a little more algae on the glass. Works super well if I want to identify any remaining Aiptasia - they go crazy for the stuff.

The one additive I have tried that really helps growth is......saltwater. Amazing the difference. I did try mustard dosing for a while but growth got out of control. :)

I've used zeovit and found it did help maintain a more exact/constant nutrient level, HOWEVER, I double dog DARE you to go on vacation for 7+ days and try to get someone to dose your tank twice a day properly and also pump your zeo-reactor. The cost isn't terrible IMO, but it's probably the most time consuming dosing regimen on the market.

I've used acro power and only had one bleaching/stn event in 2 corals, but I blame myself as the tank was 7.4 dkh alk and 260 calcium. My calc had been constant for so long i quit checking and just focused on alkalinity.

I also "does" brs reef chili once a week or more, i'm still not sure if it makes a difference or not, but i like the idea of it and it's simple to do.

rdnelson99;1046308 wrote: The one additive I have tried that really helps growth is......saltwater. Amazing the difference. I did try mustard dosing for a while but growth got out of control. :)

Did you use anything to cut the mustard?

LOL - To anyone who isn't privy to the running joke - DO NOT REALLY DOSE MUSTARD IN YOUR TANK!

I'd give Rich credit for that joke, but nobody gives him credit. :lol:

Brandon - to answer your question, I'm partial to Fuel. We saw lots of growth with that.

With any additive, sometimes less is more. Just because some is good, more can be problematic.

You can tinker things right to death. Keeping things simple can often yield the best results - AND the most enjoyment out of the hobby. When it stresses one out, it's not fun anymore.

A good basic maintenance regimen, and good foods are 90% of the secret to success, IMO.

Jenn

JennM;1046591 wrote: LOL - To anyone who isn't privy to the running joke - DO NOT REALLY DOSE MUSTARD IN YOUR TANK!

I'd give Rich credit for that joke, but nobody gives him credit. :lol:

Brandon - to answer your question, I'm partial to Fuel. We saw lots of growth with that.

With any additive, sometimes less is more. Just because some is good, more can be problematic.

You can tinker things right to death. Keeping things simple can often yield the best results - AND the most enjoyment out of the hobby. When it stresses one out, it's not fun anymore.

A good basic maintenance regimen, and good foods are 90% of the secret to success, IMO.

Jenn

I completely agree!
I'm really enjoying my new setup. I think one of the biggest reasons is because it is IN THE BASEMENT! When I set things up I bought equipment that would help keep things stable while I'm away as well as notify me if there is an issue. Last week I went 2 days without doing anything to the tank besides feeding fish:) BUT, its there when I need a life break :)

Back