Adivice on cleaning tank...empty tank

stroid

Market
Reaction score
Recently I have acquired a 100g tank from Trinh (thanks again). Basically the plumbing is mainly done got stand, canopy, lighting, sump, pump, LR. The problem is the tank needs to be cleaned it has a ton of dead coraline algae all over the walls of the tank front, sides, and back. Trinh suggested filling it and soaking it with a mix of viniger and water. Sounds good in theory but thats a ton of water to simply waste. Also the tank does have a few scratches any way to buff those out somehow. Another issue is the sump is covered also and it is acrylic. Any suggestions on how to clean the tank quickly and easily? How to remove old sand? Thanks and I will try to post a picture later i am at work now. Thanks

Ziad,

IMO all the work needed to take off the old coraline is not worth the trouble. The chances of causing even more scratches is great and not to mention the wasted water/vinegar. Coraline will grow on the old coraline structure over time. I wouldn't even worry about the sump, that's why its a hidden. Cleaning coraline off takes a lot of time and sweat. But if you do decide the only way I have ever totally cleaned it off was to soak it in water/vinegar for several days using a powerhead to move the water around and a good sharp razor.

well i wouldnt care about the back of the tank but is all over the front and sides it must be cleaned. Yeah a razor blade would work but I believe the tank must be filled with water. I really dont want to have to fill 100g of water to clean the tank then to drain 100gs just seems like a waste.

You can scrape it off with a razor blade, just use a spray bottle with water vinegar mix to help keep it moist. Good luck!

flyingarmy;104067 wrote: You can scrape it off with a razor blade, just use a spray bottle with water vinegar mix to help keep it moist. Good luck!
Yeah this is what Sam suggested I do as well. I can tell my arms are gonna start hurting soon.

Thanks Vic im sure it wont be to bad and will be worth it in the end but starting just always sucks lol...any other suggestions out there?

You can lay it on the side that you want the coralines to come off. Place a vinegar soaked towel on that side and let it sit there for couple of days. Then blast it all to H*ll with a power washer (gotta be real careful about this one, might even crack the glass if you have it too high) but I still think it is easier to just let it sit filled with water.

haha I love the tank its gonna be great and the sump I got for it is huge. Looks like elbow grease it is! Please someone give me a lazy man approach.

purpleGORILLA;104087 wrote: You can lay it on the side that you want the coralines to come off. Place a vinega soaked towel on that side and let it sit there for couple of days. Then blast it all to H*ll with a power washer (gotta be real careful about this one, might even crack the glass if you have it too high) but I still think it is easier to just let it sit filled with water.

Great idea Trinh! With the top lip of the tank you could even have about a 1/2" layer of water/vinegar that could soak. It would take a week or so to get all the sides but sure would be worth all the manual labor scrubing it off.

Trinh thats a great idea about the towel that could totaly work....hmmm if the smell isnt to bad I would consider the soak but I feel like it will make the entire house reak of vinegar. Also what kind of vinegar? White?

Stroid;104091 wrote: Trinh thats a great idea about the towel that could totaly work....hmmm if the smell isnt to bad I would consider the soak but I feel like it will make the entire house reak of vinegar. Also what kind of vinegar? White?

Yep just plain white distilled vinegar. Works like a charm!

Ziad drives to kroger.....lol now to find a place I can lay the tank down for a week. And I probably wont scrap the sump....any thoughts about using RO/DI waste water and mix that with the vinegar. Just to conserve water.

Stroid;104096 wrote: Ziad drives to kroger.....lol now to find a place I can lay the tank down for a week. And I probably wont scrap the sump....any thoughts about using RO/DI waste water and mix that with the vinegar. Just to conserve water.

The waste water should be fine, just don't use old/new SW. Good luck!

Back