Adivice on cleaning tank...empty tank

You could do it in less then a half day. I've done this many times and it works great.

Lay it on a side and then put a mixture of 10 parts water to 1 part mueratic acid on that side (should take about a gallon or 2) Let that sit for an hour then flip and repeat. Just wear gloves and makes sure your kids or dog doesn't lick it up or anything like that and you'll be fine. I always do it in my yard so you can hose it off in between sides and wipe off the scum that's left.

Not to sound like a fool but I dont know what mueratic acid is..where to get it, and wouldnt the acid be bad for the grass/soil? My dog plays in the yard would that be a concern?

Alright I google the acid but Im still concerned about using something like that. My problem is the tank is large and not easy to move so the less moving the better. Although it seems options are limited.

Z,
I took one of those grey scrub pads they sell at the LFS, soaked it in vinegar and just wiped mine off. Came right off the glass with no issues.

Is the tank glass or acrylic? I don't think there is anything you can do for scratches on glass...I've seen products for acrylic but have no experience with them.

Glass tank and yeah I was afraid there isnt much you can do for glass but I thought maybe something out there that can atleast improve the scratch somehow. Also what gray scrub thing can you be a bit more specific?

I second or third or forth whatever the count for vinegar and a razor blade. It will come off very quick if you let it soak in a vinegar solution for a few minutes.

thanks Barbara that is what I imagine would happen to me as well lol....it seems the spray bottle idea is the most practicle with my current setup and ill give that a shot. Thanks for the ideas!

It's a little square (2x2") scrub pad.

But the best thing to do is buy a Kent style algae scraper for glass and go to town on the thing with a spray bottle of vinegar as suggested.

Stroid;104134 wrote: Glass tank and yeah I was afraid there isnt much you can do for glass but I thought maybe something out there that can atleast improve the scratch somehow. Also what gray scrub thing can you be a bit more specific?

Back