Advice on beginner Coral placement?

jmorgan315

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey everyone -- I've posted a few times on here after getting back into the hobby recently and need some advice on coral placement. In the past, I've done only FOWLR tanks but am dipping my toes into corals on my nano setup. As I purchase them, I'm hoping to not have to move frags around since I don't have any experience fragging and gluing corals.

I'm in the coral planning phase and hoping to jumpstart my coral experience with proper coral placement in my tank (24g JBJ nano). I've done my basic research, but am hoping to find advice specific to my setup. None of the rocks are glued and I'm not tied to the current rockscape & flow placement, so I'm open to suggestions on moving it if best.

Any advice on where to place some of the corals in my stocking plan (below) in my nano?

I've also attached a pic of the tank where I'm running an AI Prime 16HD at close to the BRS recommended settings (just less white light) and placement. Included a pic of the Par levels from their analysis at 6" from the top of the tank.

For flow, I have a Koralia 425 just behind the rock on the left & a Sicce 1.5 with a spin stream for some variability in the flow.

Initial Coral Stocking list
  • Small GSP Rock -- DONE and growing
  • Small Zoa Rock -- I have a separate small rock that's cooking to be added when needed
  • A few Eupylias (probably just frogspawns & hammers for now)
  • Maybe a toadstool leather (size depending)
  • A few Ricordias or small Ricordia garden
  • Other LPS interests - Acans, Favia, Goni
  • Potentially a Monti or beginner SPS down the road
Other - Would love a small BTA at some point (I know it's not coral). Should I just knock that out before adding the coral?

Attachments

• Nano.png
    Nano.png
    895.1 KB · Views: 18
  • AI Prime PAR.png
    AI Prime PAR.png
    171.6 KB · Views: 18
Side view of the tank
bc4aef57146673d51e6afd4a2d1c238a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can give a couple recommendations on the corals I have experience with. If your looking at what used to be called Acan Lords I would be sure to place them low in the aquarium. I bought some very colorful acans and when they get a bit too much light they went orange regardless of how they started. The mushrooms and favi should be kept in low light as well. My favi are growing well in a somewhat shaded part of the rockscape. Depending the particular zoa you should keep them mid to low in the light levels. I initially exposed mine to way too much light and they all "asked politely to be moved", or in some cases the zoa actually move small distances like a anemone to escape the bright lights. There is an interesting post on R2R about what light levels are enjoyed by which zoanthids. My purple monsters hated the bright light and really exploded in a shadier spot. As far as Gonipora I have seen them grow in the 150 - 200 range but I with these I would focus on the flow they will get as much or more than the light level. Mine are are in shadier crevices where they can withdraw if they want to and extend into the light as desired, but the flow seems to be more indicative of whether they will like a spot or not. You could put the montis high to medium and they will grow. Montis are pretty forgiving in my experience and likely to be easier than Gonis. Good luck and send pics as you progress.

I can give a couple recommendations on the corals I have experience with. If your looking at what used to be called Acan Lords I would be sure to place them low in the aquarium. I bought some very colorful acans and when they get a bit too much light they went orange regardless of how they started. The mushrooms and favi should be kept in low light as well. My favi are growing well in a somewhat shaded part of the rockscape. Depending the particular zoa you should keep them mid to low in the light levels. I initially exposed mine to way too much light and they all "asked politely to be moved", or in some cases the zoa actually move small distances like a anemone to escape the bright lights. There is an interesting post on R2R about what light levels are enjoyed by which zoanthids. My purple monsters hated the bright light and really exploded in a shadier spot. As far as Gonipora I have seen them grow in the 150 - 200 range but I with these I would focus on the flow they will get as much or more than the light level. Mine are are in shadier crevices where they can withdraw if they want to and extend into the light as desired, but the flow seems to be more indicative of whether they will like a spot or not. You could put the montis high to medium and they will grow. Montis are pretty forgiving in my experience and likely to be easier than Gonis. Good luck and send pics as you progress.

Thanks! This is great feedback. It seems like most of the ones on my lists are more ground-dwellers/low light. I may just have to get creative with my placement and light intensity to keep them all happy.

You should skip the BTA all together in a nano with the stock you want to keep. Small ones won't stay small and they will move around till they find a happy spot. An alternative would be a RFA rock flower anemone.

With zoa's and GSP you'll want to have them on rock islands or not get them at all. Some zoa's will stay low but if they are happy will creep up the rock work. Starting on islands will give you a chance to see the growth rates and patterns. Then you can decide if moving some to the taller structures is something you want to do.

Most soft corals like it lower in the tank to around the mid level depending on light intensity and flow. If both light and flow are low enough they can be placed higher.

You should skip the BTA all together in a nano with the stock you want to keep. Small ones won't stay small and they will move around till they find a happy spot. An alternative would be a RFA rock flower anemone.

With zoa's and GSP you'll want to have them on rock islands or not get them at all. Some zoa's will stay low but if they are happy will creep up the rock work. Starting on islands will give you a chance to see the growth rates and patterns. Then you can decide if moving some to the taller structures is something you want to do.

Most soft corals like it lower in the tank to around the mid level depending on light intensity and flow. If both light and flow are low enough they can be placed higher.

Thanks! My better judgement agrees with you on the BTA, but the optimist in me keeps telling myself it’ll work out…

I ended up picking up a small neon hammer, acan, and orange ricordea today. I’ll post a pic once they are acclimated

I definitely agree with this statement, great advice!

Back