advice on moving a 65 gallon reef tank for new carpet

containerman1

Market
Reaction score
Looking to get paint and new carpet in my sons room and he has a 65 gal reef and stand with 20 gal sump in his room . I was thinking draining the sump and 1/2 the water and trying to get a dolly or hand truck to move into the kitchen for a few days anyone have any tips. I thought drain the water in a new brute and when I get it moved put 1/2 of it back and 15-20 gallon new salt water and a little seachem stability and plug back up.
Any advice is much appreciated :thumbs:

I just moved my 65 gallon to tile the floors drained 80 percent of the tank into a brute on wheels put fish and corals in a small 10 gallon tank. Moved the 65 gallon and reset it up with 20 gallons fresh water. Took about an hour and no loss of any corals or fish and all is doing well a week later

Nicoli627;1048643 wrote: I just moved my 65 gallon to tile the floors drained 80 percent of the tank into a brute on wheels put fish and corals in a small 10 gallon tank. Moved the 65 gallon and reset it up with 20 gallons fresh water. Took about an hour and no loss of any corals or fish and all is doing well a week later

Great ( looks like I will give this a shot this weekend )
Thank you

I had to do the same way back when.

I just drained the tank to about 3" of water at the bottom(leaving everything in the tank), lifted the corners of the tank onto those furniture slidder things, slid it into another room and refilled the water. Every 5 min or so Id just spray the rocks and corals with water to keep it wet.

After the floor was done I just did the same again. Draining and moving it took all of 20 min, and everything was perfectly fine.

EnderG60;1048686 wrote: I had to do the same way back when.

I just drained the tank to about 3" of water at the bottom(leaving everything in the tank), lifted the corners of the tank onto those furniture slidder things, slid it into another room and refilled the water. Every 5 min or so Id just spray the rocks and corals with water to keep it wet.

After the floor was done I just did the same again. Draining and moving it took all of 20 min, and everything was perfectly fine.

This way was really helpful . I emptied the sump water then 1/2 of the tank water in a New Brute trash can with wheels then put the slider pads under and moved pretty easy it didn't even make the water cloudy . Moved tank to Kitchen then added 10% new water and filled back with water in brute .
Spent more time cleaning the dust off the back of the tank than it took to move. I was pretty happy with about 1 hour move and clean up ( with a water chg to boot )

Back